Should I seal pre-finished hardwoods after install?

Old 05-09-06, 05:57 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Question Should I seal pre-finished hardwoods after install?

I just installed new Pre-finished hard woods in my Kitchen and I wanted to know if your supposed to or if its a good idea to seal pre-finished hardwoods after the install? To protect the seems incase of a spill. If so what should I use??

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 05-09-06 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 09:01 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
~BUMP~ Anyone????

Old 05-10-06, 09:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
I have parquet in my kitchen and because its more fragile than regular oak flooring I added a coat of poly after installing.

If you decide to coat the prefinished wood make sure you prep it well -either sanding or deglosser - otherwise the finish might not stick. Might be a good idea to contact the manufacture and make sure it doesn't affect the warrantty and that the finish you use is compatible with theirs.

Old 05-10-06, 04:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you refinish prefinished flooring, you can toss the finish warranty provided by the manufacturer out the window.

Why not just buy unfinished wood and spare the expense of buying wood with finish already on it.

Sounds like a case of more money then sense, to me.

Old 05-10-06, 07:35 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
If you refinish prefinished flooring, you can toss the finish warranty provided by the manufacturer out the window.

Why not just buy unfinished wood and spare the expense of buying wood with finish already on it.

Sounds like a case of more money then sense, to me.
Because I didnt want to wait two days to be able to use my kitchen and I wanted to save my self the hasle of finishing them.. What I was asking is if there was a wax or something I could put over them to seel them together.. Not if I should sand them and put a coat of poly on them ..

Old 05-12-06, 02:37 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Manufacturers of prefinished flooring do not recommend that additional finish be applied. There can be compatibility and durability issues, not to mention loss of any finish warranty.

Avoid waxes and oils and any products containing these products as you can comtaminate flooring and cause adhesion problems when refinishing. Wood expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity inside the home, thus sealing gaps is futile. Spills should be wiped up immediately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: