hello again (Sealing laminate floors?)

Old 05-12-06, 12:23 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello again (Sealing laminate floors?)

Well i am done laying down my kronotes 7mm laminate it was fun.I am in the last stages of just putting down the trans.pieces.I have a question can I or should i seal the floor to help protect it fron spills?thanks for all the help again.......

Old 05-12-06, 03:02 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kronotex laminate wood right?

No need to put anything on top of the laminate floor. Actually, do not put anything on top if that's your question. It's good as it is. That's the good thing about laminate floors. The floor is protected already from spills. But always be sure to clean up right when you spill something...definitely don't just leave it there.

Congrats!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 05-15-06 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-12-06, 09:11 PM
P
sealing laminate flooring

he asked if he should seal his flooring,i was courious if i could do it or would it effect exspansion,and contraction. iput laminate down were my grandchildren play and just wantsd extra protection,so ithought i would put a coat of polyurathane on top,can or not

Old 05-15-06, 09:28 AM
D
You shouldn't put any coating on top of laminate flooring. Read the warranties and go according to the manufatures instructions. You can use an area rug wear your children play.

Old 05-15-06, 11:46 AM
absolutely not!

you wouldn't even be able to get any type of polyurethane to stick to the factory finished surface of laminate flooring. it's a very hard, teflon type coating, that's very easy to clean, and very hard so it resists wear. all of which would make it impossible for poly to stick to it. it's a factory finish that never requires any kind of sealing. it's not wood that you can strip & refinish. it's a picture of wood glued to particle board & finished with a clear factory seal.

Old 10-02-07, 12:49 PM
L
laminate flooring

I am embarrassed to even ask this question but if one were dumb enough to put a finish (Orange Glo refinisher) on top of our laminate flooring (Pergo) how would we safely remove it. Okay, I confess... I believe that Orange Glo refinisher (got sold by the commercials) is a type of polyurethane gloss which actually started peeling when I used a mixture of water and ammonia (mostly water) which was right at the time that I realized that I should not have used the refinisher. I have no idea what to use that will completely remove the refinisher and not ruin the floors. Please help!!

Old 10-02-07, 01:10 PM
L
sealing laminate floors

I would not advise you to put any kind of sealant on your laminate floor...I did this and it was a big mistake (one that I have no idea how to fix). I wanted the floor to be nice and shiny and it was but it showed paw prints and smudged very easily. After recently learning that you should never apply wax or polish to laminate flooring I started using water with a little ammonia to clean them and it was then that I realized my mistake when the finish that I applied started flaking (not sure this is the right word). It is very difficult to clean the floors as I get dirty crumbs that I have to vacuum (no brush attached). And my floors are streaked (shiny patches) here and there. Unfortunately, I have laminate flooring throughout my entire house.

Take my advice, don't do it.

Old 10-02-07, 01:23 PM
D
Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums lodavis

When you use the water and ammonia solution, try cleaning a section at a time with a nice clean dry towel. The streaks should eventually come off as the laminate has a plastic coating on top. You can even try a vinegar and water solution. May take a little elbow grease to get it all off.

Old 10-02-07, 01:26 PM
L
sealing laminate floors

Thank you very much for your reply. I was not sure if the continued use of ammonia would harm the floors. I will try this. Thanks again.

Old 05-26-08, 06:36 PM
J
I have laminte floors and a new puppy - is there anything that I can "seal" the floor with just in case there are accidents that we don't find for a while........thanks!

Old 05-26-08, 07:02 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The posts in this thread indicate that one should not apply anything to laminate floor. Follow manufacturer's instructions for care and maintenance in order not to void warranties.

Old 08-08-08, 11:23 AM
A
My brother has recently installed Pergo laminate flooring. It was his first time & it turned out great. However, someone advised him to apply a sealant, not to the whole floor, but just in the seams. Apparently this is something that can be rubbed in with the finger tips. As the flooring is in the kitchen, this was suggested to prevent spills or ( heaven forbid) leaks from seeping under the flooring. We have not been able to find any type of sealant like this. Has anyone else tried or heard of it? Is this also taboo?Thanks

Old 08-08-08, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never seen it or heard of it. Spills should be cleaned up promptly. Laminate will resist minimal wetting. Don't drop a boiling pot of pasta though.

Old 08-08-08, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you read the posts above yours, you will see numerous posts stating sealing is not done with laminate.

According to most manufacturers, and when installed in potentially wet locations like bathrooms, kitchens, etc you need should glue the joints and apply caulking around the perimeter of the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: