Quiet Walk..moisture barrier??

Old 05-18-06, 11:55 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quiet Walk..moisture barrier??

Can anyone explain why this product has the moisture barrier against the flooring and not the concrete?I'm confused.

Thanks

http://www.flooringwebsite.com/Wood%...Quiet_Walk.htm

Old 05-18-06, 01:12 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
So that any moisture (top or bottom) will be absorbed in the pad and disperse...that way the flooring is not absorbing any moisture. There are different kind of moisture barriers as far as I understand.

Old 05-18-06, 07:37 PM
F
Thanks,

So it's "OK" to have the moisture barrier away from the concrete floor in this instance?

I was surprised as I thought all underlayment had the moisture barrier against the concrete to protect the foam from moisture as well as the laminate.

Thanks again

Old 05-19-06, 09:24 AM
D
Actually, I was too. But I guess every manufacturer makes there stuff different. You should be fine as long as you install accordingly to the manufactures instructions. I see that the pad part on the concrete would take in any moisture and disperse it out evenly.

Can I ask why you chose this particular brand? Nothing against it but was just curious.

Old 05-19-06, 01:09 PM
F
Addict,

I haven't chosen any particular one yet.I was just browsing and came across it and I was curious.I'm still thinking on going with the roll of cork...I believe DIY has it on sale right now.

It seems that most write-ups seem to suggest the cork is better.Do you have an opinion?

Thanks

Old 05-19-06, 01:27 PM
D
I'm gonna pass this on to a pro to answer this one...

In the meantime, we should assume you want laminate wood on concrete right?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 05-19-06 at 02:10 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 05-19-06, 02:02 PM
F
Addict,

Yes..that's correct.

I used regular foam 3 in 1 underlay in the bedrooms and wanna try and find something/anything that will reduce the "clicking" sound (somewhat) in the LR/DR install.

Old 05-22-06, 10:31 AM
D
Clicking sound? Not from your shoes right?

I threw this back up to the top thinking one of the pros on the cork issue can answer you.

Old 05-22-06, 11:58 PM
F
Of course,hehe.

What's worse is being awakened (and startled)by the sound of the TiVo controller when it hits the floor while I'm asleep

Old 05-23-06, 08:58 AM
D
Ah...there's nothing you can do about that if that's the case...IMO. If you didn't want any noise, you should've installed carpet...LOL! I have a 2 in 1 underlayment that works perfect. I walk barefooted or on socks when I'm in a hurry and enjoy sliding through the rooms to get me around quicker. (Please don't do this too...it could be unsafe...do it at your own risk) lol. Laminate is not bad but is definitely not like hardwood. I drop things more than the remotes often...then stare hard on the floor to make sure nothing happened to it...thank God..nothing! Good floors. I wonder how long it'll take the beating

Whatever brand of laminate you have, just stick to their requirements for the underlayment as you know it would void their warranty. Apparently none of the pros are looking at this thread. I don't know why. Let me see if I can get someone...

Old 05-23-06, 12:16 PM
If you want to seriously reduce the hollow sound along with resonance, get a laminate with attached cushion!! You still need a moisture barrier, but not the 2-n-1.

Cork is better for your down stairs neighbor, but does little for the resonance in the same room.

Old 05-24-06, 10:16 AM
F
Perry,

Thanks for the info.I'm on first floor with UG parking below,so not concerned so much with "downstairs" as the actual noise in the unit itself.

I'm curious...Is the theory behind the attached underlay is there is no space/air etc...between it and the laminate,so it will deaden the sound more than unattached underlay.

Thanks again and thanks to Addict also.

Old 07-12-06, 08:06 PM
C
Quiet Walk

I have had quiet walk installed under my laminate floor which is installed over a concrete floor (we just built a berm home). I highly recommend it. The moisture barrier is on top against the laminate to protect it from moisture. The Quiet Walk is suppose to be able to absorb 10 times its weight in moisture which will save your floor in case of a plumbing break. Ours was installed with a 9MM Floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: