substitute for roofer's felt??

Old 05-23-06, 09:20 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
substitute for roofer's felt??

Hi All,

I’ve got a couple of spots that squeak on my laminate floor. Since it’s glueless I was going to take it apart and apply some #30 roofers felt to the low spot. The spot isn’t very big, and I don’t really want to buy a whole roll of felt. I know there was a thread a while ago about substitutes for felt, but I can’t seem to find it.

What else would you all recommend?

Thanks !

EDIT: On second thought, it might be a better idea to just lay down a thin layer of leveling compound. I've got plenty of that left over. Let it dry over night and go from there.

Last edited by fuente; 05-23-06 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 01:06 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Just my 2 cents and I'm not a pro but after reading up on roofer's felt...isn't it to help retard moisture transfer?...not for leveling??? If so...

Old 05-24-06, 10:33 PM
I put a new vinyl floor in a bathroom a couple weeks ago. There was a 2 inch sag in the floor. From one side of the toilet to the other, there was a 1.5 inch drop. I filled it with shingles, then put 5/8 plywood over top, then lino. Worked wonderful.

If your low spot is deep, I wonder if shingles would work?

Now that Ive used the shingles, I'm sold. I tried levelling compound first but it was going to take days to finish because you can only go 1/4 thick at a time (according to the instructions). Fixing the floor from below wasn't an option in this case but I wonder if it this is something you have considered?

Old 05-24-06, 11:06 PM
F
it's not really a sag; I installed a new plywood subfloor and was within the flatness spec. Who knows..I may pull it up and find out it's a screw that's come loose from the subfloor. It may be that simple.

On the other hand, I've got plenty of shingles.

Thanks for the tip !

Old 05-25-06, 07:57 AM
Did you use a slip sheet between the two layers of subfloor? Newspaper works good. Wood to wood will squeak eventually in someplace, no matter if you screwed it down good or not.

Old 05-25-06, 08:35 AM
F
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
Did you use a slip sheet between the two layers of subfloor? Newspaper works good. Wood to wood will squeak eventually in someplace, no matter if you screwed it down good or not.
nope, nothing between the layers. Just construction adhesive and screws. But if that is the problem, then I can just throw in a few more screws around that area.

Either way the problem is easy to fix once the diagnosis is correct.

Thanks guys and gals !

Last edited by fuente; 05-25-06 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 08:10 PM
Construction adhesive works to eliminate squeaks if you can full spread it under each sheet of subfloor.

Old 05-25-06, 08:16 PM
F
yep, that's exactly what I did. I don't think it's the subfloor levels rubbing against each other. I think it's the laminate pulling of the floor ever so slightly, because there is a refigerator right near the space and nothing on the other side to 'hold the laminate down'.

We'll see...either way it's an easy fix. CDR, would you recommend using a couple shingles to bring the floor up a little bit, or should I just use leveling compound?

Thanks !

Old 05-25-06, 08:28 PM
shingles. roll roofing, or layers of 30# felt.

Old 05-25-06, 09:02 PM
F
great. Thanks CDR you're the man !!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: