Clear finish adhesion problem

Old 05-24-06, 03:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Clear finish adhesion problem

My problem is this. Back in October I began remodeling my newly purchased home. There are two bedrooms with a hallway connecting the two. I began in the spare room and found there to be wood floors. I made up my mind to refinish them myself. As I was only doing one bedroom at a time and the second would not be done for a few months, I masked on some boards that met in the hallway to prevent lap marks. The first bedroom went fine. Some mistakes like leaving the furnace on and get lots of dust nibs but otherwise ok. Now it is several months later and I have finished the floors in the second bedroom. I reversed the masking process (masking the boards that were previously finished) and it looked to be going well. However, today, after having let the finish set for a few days, I removed the masking tape and some of the poly from the first room came up with the tape. I used 3M blue painters tape, minwax wood stain (oil based), and minwax super fast drying poly for floors. I didn't seem to have any adhesion problems (except in one spot where there was a large piece of hair under the finish) and am not quite sure what happened. All I know is that it cannot stay that way and me keep my sanity. The areas range from 1/2 inch wide to over an inch by 8 to 18 inches. My question is what do I do to fix it that will look good? At this point I'm about ready to redo both rooms. Please help!!!!!!

Old 05-25-06, 08:14 PM
Yep you have adhesion problems. The tape test is how inspectors test for adhesion.

Lets see??? What did you use to sand the floors with, to obtain adhesion?

Old 05-26-06, 01:16 PM
B
In that I used a pad sander with 100 grit paper followed by a vacuum and tack cloth. Then came the stain which said NOT to said between coats or before applying clear coat.

Old 05-26-06, 03:01 PM
stain is a penetrating sealer in itself. No, no sanding after staining.

How many top coats and did you abrade between each top coat, to break the surface tension, of the previous coat, so the next top coat gets a bite??

Old 05-26-06, 09:26 PM
B
I used three top coats and did not sand between coats. The can on the poly said that you should recoat after 3-4 hours and that you had to said if you let it dry for more than 12 hours. I recoated as soon as it was no longer tacky per the directions on the can.

Old 05-27-06, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a claim to be filed with the finish manufacturer.

I don't care what the directions say. You must lightly sand between coats to gain good adhesion. No if's, and's, or but's about it. It is like painting a car without sanding. The paint will peel right off in a mater of months.

As a certified coatings inspector, I see what lack of abrading between coats causes all the time.

Old 05-28-06, 02:17 PM
B
But the big problem is now what do I do about it? I am going to have to redo both rooms or is there a way to tape of the problem area and fix it without screwing up the color/sheen?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: