Laminate floor expanded too much

Old 05-31-06, 08:03 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Laminate floor expanded too much

I installed a laminate floor last year and I am now having trouble with some buckleing. I let the laminate sit for one week before installing and used the proper spacing around the outside of the room so the floor could float, I did exceed the maximum length by about eight feet (the length is 38feet). I pulled off the trim and it has expanded so much that it is touching the wall in many spots.

Is there any tool that anybody knows about that would make it easy to router the perimeter of the room. I tried a die-grinder with a cutting disk but it was not effective.

I imagine the warranty would not be valid because I went over the 30' maximum length?

Thanks,

Remy

Old 05-31-06, 12:04 PM
yep, warranty is voided because you didn't install according to their specifications.

there is a tool for what you need to do. when i find the name of it, i'll post it. just a sec........

Old 05-31-06, 12:10 PM
take a look at thisthread. since you don't have a toe kick to limit your access, you might not have a problem with the saws-all.

i would've thought a round cutting disk type would've worked great though....?

hope this helps. if not, hopefully one of the pro installers will chime in.

good luck!

Old 05-31-06, 12:14 PM
I'm sure there is some tool made to do the job but when I have those situations, I score the laminate with a olfa knife, then break the chunk off with a chisel. Worked fine for me.

Alternativly, if the laminate is hitting drywall, just cut the drywall out.

Old 05-31-06, 12:16 PM
wow - that'd take forever around a whole room. isn't there some sort of Dremel tool that would be deep enough?

Old 05-31-06, 09:29 PM
Take an undercut saw for undercuting door jambs. Turn it up and cut it out. Score and chisel the inside corners.

Under the doorjambs is going to be tough!!

Old 06-03-06, 11:40 AM
A
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about cutting the sheetrock because it will be hidden behind trim anyway but didn't know if that was a good thing to do or not.

Can the "undercut saw" be rented?

When I tired using the round cutting disk it did cut but it went SLOW and made a lot of smoke; I would have been looking at days to do the job.

I know I went a little longer than the reccomended length but even on the width (about 12') the laminate expanded all the way to the walls. I put the appropriate underlayment down for a concrete floor, I cant believe that the stuff expanded that much all the way around.

Old 06-04-06, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
wow - that'd take forever around a whole room. isn't there some sort of Dremel tool that would be deep enough?
Actually Annette, it goes real quick. If its so close that it buckling against the plate, which means its fitting under the drywall, you don't need to be too precise because you are covering it with Baseboard. It only takes a couple swipes with the olfa knife to get throught the laminate and just a couple whacks with the chisel. You can do 2 foot sections quickly.
If its buckling against the drywall, you can hack out the drywall pretty easily and again it doesn't need to be pretty because the BaseBoards are covering it again. Be a little carefull because if you cut out too much, your baseboards won't have any backing and will lean in at the bottom.
I'm thinking a half hour for a living room.

I've done it a few times on a couple walls if things have shifted but.......I'm not a pro so there will be a better way. I'd follow Perry's advice before trying my way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: