Help with Self-Leveling Flooring

Old 05-31-06, 07:10 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Self-Leveling Flooring

Ok... We are remodeling our small bathroom and have recently ripped out all the old (very pink) ceramic tile that was on the walls. We decided not to rip out the (also very pink) ceramic tile on the floors due to all the mortar underneath that we'd have to chip away at and instead just lay new vinyl tiles over it (the floor itself is actually nice and level).

However, ripping out the wall tiles has left us with 1-2" wide x 1.5" deep gaps in the flooring along the walls where the base tiles were. So now we need to fill in these gaps in order to level the floor and lay the tile. We have purchased some self leveling compound to do the trick.

However, this bathroom is on the main level (over our basement) so there are holes in the floor for the plumbing and gaps between the studs and the floor -- where I am sure this liquid-like leveling compound is going to run.

Is there any recommended way to keep the leveling compound from running right off the subfloor and into the walls and basement? We have put together a make-shift plastic barrier, but I am just wondering if there is a better / more effective method.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 05-31-06, 07:51 AM
amh145
Visiting Guest
gap filler for self leveler compound

I had a gap (1/8" to 1/2") between the plywood floor boards in my house that the self leveling compound would have run through. I filled the gap with some foam pipe insulation and it held nicely. I only had one small leak where I didn't overlap the insulation enough. I cut off a longitudinal piece and stuffed it into the gap between the floor boards the entire width of my house.

Sounds like you might have a different situation from mine.

Aaron

Old 05-31-06, 10:01 AM
K
Actually, that might work along some of the smaller gaps between the floor and the frame! I'll still have to find a way to keep in from running down the water lines, but I like your idea for the rest of the gaps. Thanks!

Old 05-31-06, 08:32 PM
Shoot some expanding foam in the holes. Good insulation, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: