Hardwood Steps to Laminate Flooring on Second Floor

Old 06-04-06, 08:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Steps to Laminate Flooring on Second Floor

Well I am getting real close to tackling these stairs, and I have not figured out a good way to transition the steps to the laminate in the bonus room. I decided to redo the 10 steps that lead to the bonus room in a hardwood instead of the laminate due to safety concerns on my part. Don't know if they are valid, but I just did not like to idea of cutting off the nose of the existing pine tread and nailing the laminate nosing to the tread. Anyways, what I have done is bought the red oak treads and I will get a piece of red oak stair nose for the landing at the top of the stairs. I just have not figured out how is going to be the best way to transition this oak stair nose to the laminate. I will have all the stain all the oak to color match my laminate, and I am not too concerned about the color match, but the red oak stair nose is quite a bit thicker than my laminate. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-05-06, 04:10 PM
How thick is the oak tread and how thick is the cushion & laminate combined?

Old 06-05-06, 06:13 PM
C
The oak stair nosing is 5/4". The laminate is 8mm and the cushion is 3mm thk. I am hoping that I will be able to use a piece of stained oak shoe molding.

Old 06-23-06, 09:27 PM
E
Thumbs up Same situation but I used laminate nosing

I am doing oak treads up to a second floor hallway which is all Nirvana V3 laminate 8mm on rolled felt. I plan to use the laminate stair nose trim since it is made for that type transition. The trick was to find the right stick of stair nose trim that blended with both. With Nirvana, the trim sometimes can be a shade off of the laminate color.

Old 07-06-06, 05:45 PM
O
I will be using reg. oak flooring, ripping it on one side to butt against the oak stair top and along rail bottom and router out the underside of the other end so the laminate slides under. Should work fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: