Fair Estimate for Floor Sanding?

Old 06-18-06, 05:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fair Estimate for Floor Sanding?

I've got a guy coming tomorrow to take a look, and give me an estimate for sanding my living room floor. I have no clue what this kind of thing could cost, and don't know what to expect as a fair price.

The plan is to have him sand off the glue, carpet pad residue, old finish and whatever gunk, and leave me a nice smooth floor to finish. Unfortunately, someone else sanded in spots at one time, and left some horrible looking patches, so much of the old patina may be sanded away, as well.

The room is approx. 23' x 13' plus a short 2' wide hallway.

Can anyone give me some ballpark figure for that size room?

Old 06-18-06, 06:25 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Get at least three estimates. Labor and materials tend to vary from area to area and within areas. Your sanding job will not be straightforward due to adhesive residue. Sanding will take you down to raw wood and there will be no 'patina.' You should be preparing a list of questions: what type of finish, how many coats, drying time between coats, water-based or oil finish, etc. You can use your favorite search engine to search floor finishing so that you have a basic understanding of the process and to acquire enough information to ask some questions.

Old 06-18-06, 10:05 PM
In my town, I phoned several contractors and they all charge about $3 to $4 per foot. Thats for sanding, filling and finishing. Just had mine redone. He used a low gloss water based finish (bona or something like that).
People thought it was laminate because it was so perfect.
Patching would have been extra but I never needed any.

Old 06-19-06, 08:35 AM
J
That sounds like a reasonable price, mjd2k, considering it includes the labor. That's less than we'd end up paying - and then our labor on top of that - if we floated an engineered floor on top of the old one. Thanks for the reply.

ETA: I just looked at where you're from, I'm in the pacific northwest (west of Seattle), where prices are somewhat artificially higher than some other places. That may make a difference.

Old 06-23-06, 04:24 AM
T
my girlfriend just re did her living room she did not want me to help she used striper then light sanding she has stained but not put the finish on yet but it looks very nice (like she said if I could do it anyone can) she is a nurse on a very busy schedule but she plowed right thru it and had a great deal of self satisfaction

Old 06-23-06, 07:30 AM
I was surprised that my contractor sanded first, then spread filler over the "ENTIRE" floor with a trowel to fill every gap and nail hole, then sanded that a couple of more times. In total he sanded the floors three times with different coarsness paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: