Laminate Installation Questions

Old 06-27-06, 12:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate Installation Questions

I'm planning on installing a laminate floor thru-out a 1000 sq.ft. 2-bdrm/2bath house.

I know that I need to leave a gap at the walls and put a baseboard/shoe over the gap to allow for expansion/contraction. I will undercut the door jambs/casings so the laminate will extend under these. How much gap should I leave?

I also plan on installing the flooring before the cabinets so that the cabinets sit on the flooring. Is this a good idea or not?

The water closets will be installed on top of the laminate, but what's the best way to deal with fibreglas bathtubs and showers?

Thanks, Joe

Old 06-27-06, 12:27 PM
J
Laminate under Cabinets?

I just read a reply by Doug a couple of years ago that said that laminate under cabinets is a bad idea. So, I could simply install an underlayment under the cabinets to match the laminate thickness. This will save about 20 sq.ft in the kitchen and another 20 sq.ft. in the bathrooms, but is there really a problem with having cabinets on top if they are not actually secured to the floor?

Old 06-28-06, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Joe.Carrick
is there really a problem with having cabinets on top if they are not actually secured to the floor?
you do understand this is a FLOATING floor, right?

will there be cabinets on both sides of the room?

you can't have a lot of heavy stuff on the floor or it won't be able to expand.

Old 06-28-06, 02:16 PM
J
Yes, of course I realize it's a "floating" floor.

Actually, I've checked several sets of installation instructions which indicate that you can install cabinets over laminate flooring (common practice in many other parts of the world) as long as they are not fastened thru the laminate. Most base cabinets are not even that heavy. A refrigerator, range or dishwasher will usually be heavier than a cabinet.

The critical element is that the floor can move beneath whatever is placed on top of it. In these cases, since the cabinet will be attached to the wall, it would probably be a good idea to use metal nail-in feet or teflon tack strips under the cabinet to minimize friction, but even that is not required. Appliances will generally move with the floor, while cabinets will not.

I also find that the preferred method of dealing with plumbing fixtures is to seal the gap at the tub with silicon for water protection. In a relatively small bath, securing the Water Closet on top of the laminate is OK, because the expansion/contraction can be "centered" at this location.

Old 07-06-06, 05:52 AM
R
Joe,
If the cabinets are not fastened to or through the laminate floor(as you stated that you don't plan to) there won't be enough resistance to buckle the flooring.
Also, the square footage savings may be offset by an increase in waste from flooring an irregular floor shape that may be produced by flooring around the cabinets.
I would recommend checking with the manufacturer regarding wet locations like bathrooms.
They may not recommend it, or they may have special installation instuctions.
about 5 years ago I installed laminate floor in my kitchen under the cabinets and there are no problems so far, but it was recommended to be aware that excessive moisture like near the sink should be wiped up promptly.
Good Luck

Old 07-06-06, 04:08 PM
Laminate in a kitchen, under the cabinets...

The first waterdamage and the laminate won't be under the cabinets for long, and you will be cussing up a storm as you trash the cabinets kick plates trying to cut the laminate at the edge of the cabinets.

It is not a matter of "if, it is a matter of "when"

But it is your home and your project, so do what you have your heart set on doing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: