Stair Quandary

Old 06-28-06, 10:05 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stair Quandary

I am interested in purchasing some laminate or hardwood flooring to be installed on a stairway. My only reservation about laminate or hardwood on stairs is that it could be dangerous walking across the smooth surface (ie. slip and fall). I know I could purchase a carpet runner or pads but I really don't want to cover up the nice look of the laminate or hardwood.

Does anyone make a hardwood or laminate that has a rough surface? One that might provide better traction when walking across it on stairs.

I've even played with the idea of a stone or brick staircase in order to have traction but I'm guessing it would be a huge amount of weight on the stairs.

Any information or ideas on a staircase with traction that doesn't involve carpeting would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 06-28-06, 05:56 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Never move quickly on hardwood stairs in stocking feet. Make sure you have adequate handrail. There are some beautiful carpet runners available for stairs.

Old 06-29-06, 05:58 AM
V
Smile Thank you for your reply!

Very true and I agree! Thanks for your reply and thoughts!

Old 06-29-06, 07:36 PM
C
We debated on redoing the stairs in laminate when my wife and I did the rest of the house in laminate, but we decided not to. #1 with the laminate stair you have to cut the existing bull nose off and glue and nail and new smaller laminate bullnose back in place. Something about that just does not sound right to me. I want a solid step. The rest of the laminate on the tread would be glued down to the base pine tread underneath, but again that just did not sound right to me. We have decided to replace the carpeted stairs and the pine treads and risers underneath the carpet with a solid red oak tread and riser, then stain the wood to match the laminate. After buying the red oak treads and risers and Lowes, I got in touch with a professional that can get the red oak from a lumber yard cheaper than what we paid for it at Lowes. I will end up returning what I bought at Lowes and the difference in material costs will mean I am paying someone that has all the tools he needs and knows what he is doing a $200 to do the job. That will be the best $200 I have ever spent.

Old 06-30-06, 06:38 AM
V
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your insight! I appreciate it!

So I understand you correctly about the oak treads and risers...were they pre-made and you just needed to have them installed? They weren't hardwood strips that needed to be installed a strip at a time??? I'd like to know more!

Old 06-30-06, 04:31 PM
C
The next time you are in Lowes, Home Depot or one of your larger hardware stores go back to the lumber section and ask to see the stair treads and risers. You can get them in different materials, we chose the red oak because it is a good hard wood(it will hold up well over time), and they will come in pre-cut lengths. Normally they are 5/4" thick and 11 1/4" deep, or at least that is what I have seen. The trick is having the equipment, radial saw with sharp blade and belt sander, to get the exact cut lengths right so that they fit snug. You also have to contend with the stringers, glue screwing these things down and getting everything set just right. For what my wife and I are paying for the material, I would rather just go ahead and pay someone a few hundred dollars to get it done right. Oh, yea you also have that top step at the landing. I want that to be a red oak stair nose piece and you will find those at the hardware store too. The trick there is how to properly transition this big hunk of wood with the 8mm laminate. The guy that is going to do our stairs told me that he had a tool where he could take the wood down where it meets the floor. Another reason just to let him do it. Hope this helps...

Old 07-02-06, 05:36 PM
V
Smile Thanks for the further info!

Thank you for providing further feedback! I really appreciate it! I understand fully now! I'm heading to Lowe's to check them out just to see what they look like, etc. I agree with you...I'll probably hire someone to do the work rather than trying to tackle it myself. Hopefully, I'll get as good a deal as you got! Thank you again! You were VERY helpful!

Old 07-03-06, 10:54 AM
M
Originally Posted by coonsa
#1 with the laminate stair you have to cut the existing bull nose off and glue and nail and new smaller laminate bullnose back in place. Something about that just does not sound right to me. I want a solid step.
I am about to Laminate my stair treads, and thought I would have to cut off the existing bull nose, to make way for the laminate bullnose. But...when I received my Quick Step nosing, it became apparent that this product's nosing was not a bullnose, and only partially covered the top of the existing bullnose. That is, the Quick Step nosing is a beautifier for the existing bull nose. Very little of the laminate nosing will overhang anything. The lower half of the existing nose is completely uncovered. So...in this case, I decided not to cutoff the existing bullnose. I would simply loose a lot of tread space.

Old 07-06-06, 06:13 AM
M
Quickstep stair nose is not bullnose

Just finished laminate on staircase. Indeed, the Quickstep stairnose is not bullnose. The stair tread bullnose is visible underneath the Quickstep stairnose. The stairnose covers just the top edge of the existing bullnose and I couldn't imagine cutting off the existing bullnose, while using Quickstep stairnose.

Old 07-06-06, 06:28 AM
V
Smile Thanks for the follow-up!

Thanks for the update! I really appreciate it! The info helps! I'm still thinking about what I want to do before I go through with it. I enjoy doing the research and hearing all the info/feedback! Thank you again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: