used water-based poly on my hardwood floors

Old 07-05-06, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
used water-based poly on my hardwood floors

i had the job done mostly by someone else, and sadly, i can't give ALL the details, but the floors were sanded, stained and sealed in the past two weeks. i had them use oil-based minwax stain and then 3 coats of another brand of water-based poly to seal the floors. they did all three coats of the poly in one day...the stuff does dry pretty fast.

when the three coats were done, they told me that the floors felt kinda rough and i noticed the same when i put on the 4th coat of water-based poly. it's like there are little (very little) air bubbles or something and the floor has a rough feeling to it.

what happened? and how do i fix it without doing the whole job over again?

the only thing i can think of is this: the guys didn't (i don't believe) sand between the first and second coats of poly, OR did we use the wrong kind of brush or something?

the roughness to the floor is definitely NOT the floor itself, it's the poly...

ideas? help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 07:50 AM
T
Patience

The people that installed the coatings were in too much of a hurry to do the job properly. The roughness is due to bubbles in the finish. The oil based primary coat takes 24-48 hours to properly dry. Then and only then should additional coats be applied.

Just like painting a wall, you shouldn't mix oil and water based products. Re-finishing floors should be a process that takes a little time. You should expect properly finished floors to last a minium ob 5-10 years before additional work is required.

Pretty hard to have a 10 year floor applied in one day.

Afraid you'll have to sand off the top coats and start over again. Sorry

Old 07-05-06, 08:15 AM
there was no oil-based primary coat, only oil-based varnish. that dried for 24 hours before the first coat of water-based poly was applied. all three coats of water-based sealant were applied in one day. the water-based sealant only takes 1-2 hours to dry.

i have been finding all kinds of stuff on the internet about the bubbles in my water-based poly sealant problem and the articles suggest that the problem was either the brushing method i/we used (going over it too many times/too many strokes), or putting the stuff on too thick. there really wasn't anything about drying time being a problem.

but, redoing the floors entirely is not an option. however, i have been reading that a paint pad might help me out.

here's some articles i found, however i think some of these apply to oil-based poly and not water-based poly:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...e_topcoat.html

http://members.aol.com/woodinfo1/bubble.htm

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00075.asp

i think i am going to try another coat with the paint pad...

Old 07-05-06, 08:18 AM
oh, and i was told there was no problem using an oil-based varnish and a water-based sealant, as long as there was adequate time for the varnish to dry...which there was.

Old 07-06-06, 04:32 PM
Who were you "told" by, to be the chemist? The guy at Home Depot?

I know the finish manufacturers were not the people that told you that!!!

Now with that said, bubble in the top coats...

Soap or some other contaminent was not removed before coating.

applying finish to a "hot" floor.

overworking finishduring appication.

shaking the finish before application
air movement across the floor to speed dry times, that dries the bubbles into place before they can flow out.

Floor not screened or sufficiently cleaned between coats of finish.

Cure: Problems in the topcoat can be screened out and recoated, while cases of delamination of non bonding finish, require a complete resand to bare wood & refinish. Cover windows to prevent hot spots on the floor, and make sure NO air movement is present