New floor options over old asbestos tile

Old 07-10-06, 03:41 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question New floor options over old asbestos tile

I'm a new homeowner and have a tough call to make. We want to eventually turn this home into a rental property, and want to install the best wearing floor over the old vinyl tile, rather than trying to remove it. The vinyl seems to be adhered well to the concrete slab, and it's not breaking up at all.

A floor guy recommended new snap together floating hardwood laminate/engineered flooring on the vinyl with foam underlayment. He said any other method would fail. I can get 3/4" hardwood and plywood underlayment for a little more than half the cost of the hardwood laminate, whcih wil run over $5/SF for material.

Is he right? Or can I get the plywood underlayment with hardwood nailed to it to work without buckling or failing?

Old 07-10-06, 04:20 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your new home and welcome to the DIY forums!

Just a thought...I apologize that this doesn't answer your question in advance, but if you are considering this house to be a rental, IMO...go with something cheaper. I don't know if that is an option for you (b/c you wanted "best wearing floor") nor do I know if you have any other option other than what your floor guy recommended.

Anyway, please check back as the pros will probably have a good answer for you.

Old 07-10-06, 11:37 PM
As DIY suggested, you might try laminate. Its excellent for rentals. Cheap easy to install and pretty durable. I get some at home depot for a buck a foot.

As far as I know there should be no problem going over asbestos tile. Use the correct underlayment for concrete. Just don't drill it etc. I've done it before.

Old 07-11-06, 10:54 AM
I
Question hardwood over vinyl tile glued to slab

Can a 5/8" plywood subfloor and 3/4" hardwoods nailed to subfloor work successfully over vinyl tile on a slab? I understand it adds quite a bit of thickness to the floor, and has ramifications for the doors, but this system is less expensive for me than wood laminate or engineered wood.

Or can the 3/4" hardwood be glued directly to the vinyl tile?

I don't particularly like the look of laminate floors, and I have read all kinds of stories, and also seem some less than satisfactory installations. Some say it looks terrible after 5 years or so, some say it's great.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-06, 01:09 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Not a pro but I thought these previous threads may help you about that

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...HARDWOOD+VINYL

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...HARDWOOD+VINYL

Apparently you don't like laminate wood but perhaps something else-cheaper for a rental? Was just an opinion. I have yet to meet a "landlord" that has thoughts of putting in hardwood. But, from a previous tenant's opinon, that would be great! The thing is, imagine something happens to the flooring by a tenant...what would you do then?

I hope those threads help a bit. I know a pro will step in here sooner or later. In the meantime you can use the search engine and type in hardwood over vinyl and you'll find a lot of previous threads about this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: