First wooden floor

Old 07-16-06, 09:16 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First wooden floor

Hi,

I have just purchased my first flat and I am looking to get some form of wooden flooring in the lounge and corridor.

It's a ground floor flat so I have concrete underneeth the carpet currently. I have gone to a few companies and received quotes for laminate and engineered wood floors. I was suprised to find the differance in price was quite small. Both of these companies seemed quite professional.

Today I spoke to another shop who told me I should get a solid real wood floor and not bother with engineered wood. The guys there did seem to know what they where talking about, but they diso****ed the price heavly, and it just seemed a bit like a McDonalds for floors, and I got the feeling they was some in joke that I just didn't get. However I may be doing them a big injustice.

I would like to get some impartial advice about the type of flooring I should be looking at. As said above it will be put into a ground floor flat with concerte underneath. Cost is of course an issue, but I do not want to sacrafice quality, and of course I don't want somthing that looks cheap and tacky.

I am in the UK if that makes any differance.

Thank

Old 07-19-06, 08:15 AM
Generally speaking, you should not install real 3/4" wood floors below ground. I don't know if your garden flat is level with the ground, or a few feet under, but consider that.

Also, I don't know how "good" it is to try and install real wood on top of concrete. Is there enough room to install a wood subfloor over the concrete?

If I was in your shoes, and I'm just a DIYer, I'd look into the engineered-glue-down floor, or tile.

Old 07-22-06, 08:09 AM
T
Thanks, The flat is at ground level, but as you suggested I think I should look into the engineered floor again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: