Removing strips of hardwood. Help needed.

Old 07-26-06, 02:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing strips of hardwood. Help needed.

I am looking to continue the hardwood we have in our hallway and kitchen into the dining room. The hardwood is 3/4" thick by 2 1/4" wide red oak and has been glued and stapled to the plywood subfloor. Right how the hardwood ends at a straight line before the dining room.

The question I have is, how can how can I remove some of the end boards in the hallway without damaging the boards around or before them, so I can add new boards and blend the old boards and new boards so I don't have a straight hard line between old and new.

Any ideas?

Old 07-26-06, 03:23 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Removong floor boards

Set the depth of your circular saw blade to match the thickness of the boards. Make two ripping cuts the length of the board to be removed. Finish the rip near the boards you are not removing with a hammer and chisel.This will divide the board into three sections. Remove the middle section first. Then remove section having the groove. Finally, remove the section having the tongue. This section will have nails in the tongue. Use your hammer and chisel carfully.

If you choose the order of removal carefully, you may not have to rip every board you remove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: