installing laminate under door jam

Old 08-09-06, 09:38 PM
J
j26
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing laminate under door jam

I'm installing glueless laminate flooring. To connect one piece to the next, you insert the new piece at a 45 degree angle to the already installed piece and rotate it into place. Given that the section that goes under the door trim cannot be inserted at an angle (because it slides under the trim), how is this piece installed?

Seems like a situation everyone must be encountering, but I've gotten quite a few confused looks when I ask this question.

Thanks

Old 08-10-06, 10:40 AM
i believe this is where you can cut off the tongue & just glue the pieces together. there is no way to assemble these planks in the normal way here.

Old 08-10-06, 10:59 AM
B
just make sure that is the starting piece on that row. You will need to notch the piece to fit under the jam and/or casement then you should be able to beat it under knocking it sideways with your block. I am assuming you spaced the jam off the floor to slide it under. This is probably the most difficult part in laying these floors and you never see mention of it in any manuals.

Old 08-11-06, 03:18 PM
Take a razor knife and shave off the hump on the lower side of the tongue side. I like to do this before I install that previous row, if I know I'm going under a jamb. It is much easier then when it is already installed on the floor, pluss you have to clean up all the slivers from widdling the hump/lip lock off. You have to do this on both the length and end.

A thin bead of glue in the grove side on both end and length(don't glob it or you will never compress it and it will be gapped. Just a very thin bead.)

Slide in and under the jamb and into the end joint first, then from the opposite of the end joint, start tapping the length coming back toward the end joint. You may need strap clamps to compress the glue! 1" wide 3M blue painters tape over the joints to hold it together, until it dries. Remove the tape the next day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: