Old parquet floor

Old 08-10-06, 03:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old parquet floor

I have the stuff in my dining room I am redoing and it's seen better years. It's not a high traffic area and it's not damaged, other than stains and water spots but is dryed and faded looking with a couple of scratches and gouges. It's parquet tile over slab, not sure about the subfloor, it's been there awhile. Sometimes I hear a little tappity tap sound when I walk on it that sounds like a couple tiles may be a little loose but so far none of them has fallen apart.

I was wiping it down every now and then with liquid gold, which makes it look beautiful for a little while. Today I decided to try boiled linseed oil. It REALLY looks good now. It makes the flaws look like "character"!

I am wondering if it will cause problems down the road, mainly adhesive loosening. I would like to put on a few more coats of oil but wonder if it's worth it. I was planning on removing it and putting in a more durable floor someday but don't have the money right now.

How do y'all deal with old parquet flooring, I did a search and saw that a few people tried to sand and refinish but I got the impression that it caused more problems than it solved. Mine looks pretty good with the one one linseed oil treatment, I am wondering how long that will last and if putting some "tung oil" (I know the stuff in the store is not really pure tung oil) on it would be even better.

Old 08-10-06, 06:06 PM
J
I have that flooring in a kitchen. I don't know about oiling it.

I hand sanded it with a palm sander, stained and poly'd it. It was a lot of work, but it changed nasty fake parquet tile to a very attractive floor.

The rule for an oil finish is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for life. I've had lovely results with furniture, but I've never tried it on a floor.

If you decide to take off any old finish, you might be able to use a square vibrating sander; I didn't on mine, so I don't know if it is safe. Definitely don't use one of the big hardwood drum sanders.

Rub the oil in well, don't leave any excess. Get some roofers' knee pads, and a buffer pad for your hand sander.

Old 08-10-06, 09:23 PM
M
My neighbors were just over admiring my floor!

I didn't sand or remove any finish, I just put the oil on it to see if it would improve the look. I am sort of planning on replacing it eventually and didn't think refininshing it would be worth the trouble, that's the main reason I didn't look into the poly finish. It sounds like you really put some work into yours.

I rubbed the oil in and wiped off the excess pretty quick, 5 minutes or so. I rubbed it in first before rubbing it off. It's not tacky at all, I was worried about that. It's not a high traffic area in my house so maybe I can make the finish last. I don't think I can move everything out of the room once a month though, I may try another coat tommorrow and I guess I'll have to leave it at that.

It looks so good now I am kind or curious about what it would look like if I stripped and redid it like yours. I don't know if I could put poly over the stuff I've already put on it. I've cleaned it with liquid gold a few times before the boiled linseed oil, I'm sure some of that stuff has penetrated.

Eventually I will want something more durable, that's my main beef with the parquet tiles, the only ones I've seen seem rather delicate. They don't seem to age gracefully either. Mine looks pretty for now though!

Old 08-11-06, 02:27 AM
J
Sounds like you have a nice floor.

and that you know what you are doing. If you do decide to refinish it, the original finish sands off fairly easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: