High points in subfloor

Old 08-13-06, 02:14 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High points in subfloor

I am installing 3/4 inch tongue and grove oak flooring in my house. I've reached a room where the floor is wavy. There are high points that are above the level of the rest of the hardwood flooring and there are also sags. Do I have to replace the sub floor or is there something else I can do?

Old 08-15-06, 01:13 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sags may be indicative of problems with joists. If joists are not accessible, subfloor can be removed to address joist problems. If subfloor is over warped joists, high spots can be planed down and low spots shimmed to achieve flatness. If the subfloor simply has some high and low spots, high spots can possibly be sanded and low spots filled with self-leveling compound.

Old 08-19-06, 01:23 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Points in Subfloor

I've thought about leveling compound but I'm not sure it will work. The floor has a center high that tapers off to the sides. In addition to this high point there are sags in the middle of some of the OSB. From left to right the drop off from the center point can be as high as 1". It's my understanding that 1" is too high for leveling compound. I've thought about ripping the floor up and laying new OSB, shimming where necessary. Any suggestions about doing that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: