Please recommend a molding for this curved area!

Old 08-16-06, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please recommend a molding for this curved area!

Any ideas on how I can get/make/cut molding that will fit nicely around a curved fireplace?

Here's a pic:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Carpets Done Wright; 08-17-06 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 10:25 AM
sorry - can't see the picture.

is the moulding to cover the gap from a laminate installation?

is it a raised fireplace hearth? wood or stone?

the pro's undercut hearths & slide the laminate underneath.

Old 08-17-06, 10:40 AM
You needed to plan for that before you got there! There is no expansion space on the front side! It is already locked in!

Curves are not good for a laminate installation. I have seen some rubber trim from automotive seals used.

Old 08-17-06, 12:35 PM
U
You need something reasonably small, and flexible - I have seen some wood-grained moulding (also white) that is some sort of plastic composite that might be bent that much, at the big box stores. That looked to be a pretty tight curve.

Some places sell flexible molding (suggest searching for "molding trim composite") I found one listed, all sorts of sizes and shapes, but it wasn't cheap, something like $10-15 a foot. I didn't look to see if there were minimum orders, or long delays.

Not as fancy, but a lot cheaper, would be the plastic base mold that is used in commercial applications - it's flexible and some is adhesive backed. You might be able to find a color that is un-obtrusive. The bottom edge of it curves out to cover about 1/2" against the wall (or hearth in your case).

Old 08-17-06, 04:23 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Annette
sorry - can't see the picture.
Here's a direct link to the pic. A mod edited my link, but it doesn't show with the [img] tags (not even the [quote] tag works...sheesh):

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8460/img0880mediumay7.jpg

I saw something at Target that was meant as a tub seal. They only had it in white. I think it is available in brown, but they didn't have it in stock. It might look tacky if it isn't the right shade, too.

Someone at a laminate store said they lifted fireplaces and install laminate under it! I was like WTH??? That is solid marble! I sure wasn't going to lift it, so I cut around it. Hence, my dilemma you see above.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by sc0rpio; 08-17-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Carpets Done Wright
You needed to plan for that before you got there! There is no expansion space on the front side! It is already locked in!
I did leave some expansion space in the front (not much, but it's there). The shadows from the camera flash make it look like there is none.

Last edited by sc0rpio; 08-17-06 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-18-06, 02:36 AM
O
I am far from an expert in laminate flooring, I have two rooms of boards in my shed waiting for me to install. But if I was faced with your situation, I would fabricate 3 pieces, with 1X stock. Use appropriate width to get the depth you need probably 1 X10 or 1 X12 (not sure if they even sell such a thing). Use a band saw guided by a template that you could make of the connor to the wall on both sides and then one straight piece for the front. Of course you would then need to take some care in finishing the pieces to the quality you are looking for. When stained appropriately, it should look pretty good. The only thing that I am not sure of is how to attach it, the nails may stop the proper expansion and glueing it to the floor may cause the same problem. Maybe a little liquid nails and attach it to the marble, although I would seal the marble first, so you don't stain it. I have used this kind of adhesive for Marble tile installations and it works very well.

Good Luck,
Barry

Old 08-18-06, 07:59 AM
QUOTE = Someone at a laminate store said they lifted fireplaces and install laminate under it!

they surely meant that they undercut a notch into the fireplace & slide the laminate under. no one would set a fireplace ON laminate - it wouldn't be able to expand & contract.

but that IS what the pro's do. they get whatever type of cutting tool is necessary to undercut notches in brick, stone, whatever. it's the only way to get a really professional look that "APPEARS" as though the fireplace really IS "ON" the laminate.

but since you're in a position now where you must on some sort of trimwork to finish off your edge, i'd do whatever it took to use real wood. don't use any type of flexible vinyl stuff. even if the color was okay, it's just out of place & it'll look tacky. sorry.

Last edited by Annette; 09-28-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-18-06, 05:11 PM
Yes, a custom end cap would look sweet. Your going to need a bad saw, router, and some sandpaper. You will need to cut the laminate back farther though, for that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: