Polyurethane - How many coats?

Old 08-23-06, 08:07 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polyurethane - How many coats?

Have just got through having some red oak stairs installed. I stained them myself and tonight I got through putting on the 4th coat of polyurethane. I had planned on putting five coats, but I wanted to get an idea from others on how many coats are normally applied.

Old 08-24-06, 01:57 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This article will probably help you out A LOT

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/hardwoodfloorfinish

(You'll have to copy and paste and page all the way down). According to this article, 3 or 4 coats)

Old 08-24-06, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
While as a painter I seldom do floors but am often called upon to do stairs in new construction, 3-4 coats of poly [sanding between coats] generally does a good job.

Old 08-25-06, 11:28 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses!!! I got through putting my fifth and hopefully final coat last night. I did use a fine steel wool to rough up the surface between each coat, but I am curious if you did not do this or sand what would happen between the coats. Will one just eventually peel away from the other? Just curious.

Old 08-26-06, 05:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Without sanding [or steel wool] to knock down the gloss and create a 'tooth' for the next coat the poly may not adhere well to cured poly. Also sanding between coats will help to eliminate any defects, resulting in a slicker better looking finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: