Who's right:) Subfloor prep

Old 08-25-06, 12:27 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's right:) Subfloor prep

Please resolve a disagreement between me and my spouse. We are about to begin laying laminate in living and front entry. The front entry previously had ceramic tile which was removed but the adhesive is still stuck to the concrete subfloor. This has created an slight raise( less than 1/4") in the height of the entry subfloor and the living subfloor (which was previously carpeted. Do we need to removed all of the adhesive? This creates such a dust mess and if so is there a less messy way to do this?

Please respond ASAP, spouse wants to start this weekend creating a dust nightmare.

Daralyn

Old 08-25-06, 01:29 PM
B
Adheasive as in old thinset? I would try to remove as much as possible with a hammer and wide cold chisel. You want the floor to be even between the foyer and living area otherwise there will be a hump there even with a 1/4". Shouldn't be too much dust.

Old 08-25-06, 01:46 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. If there's going to be a lot of dust, you might want to try using a water spray bottle and spray the floor with water - that should help some. Also, if it's possible, you may want to close off the area with plastic (like those painter's plastic thing - sorry! I lost my brain!...4got what it's called!) so no dust will travel in other areas of your home and close and cover any vents. Wear goggles too.

The floor needs to be level to lay laminate.

Read the manufacturer's instructions as you will void the warranty if you don't follow their directions.

Old 08-25-06, 01:46 PM
D
Unhappy

Thanks so much for the speedy reply.
My foyer is about 6X12, that is where the (i called it adhesive) but is looks like grout is still on the subfloor. I think a chisel will take years to remove.
We just removed most of it for relaying tile in the kitchen area with one of those ?machines and the dust was tremendous. Of course my husband didn't use drapes in the beginning and when we did put drapes down, it didn't prevent the dust from getting up in the cabinets and pantry area.

I was hoping there would be a less messy way of removing or evening out that adhesive.

I guess my husband was right!

Old 08-25-06, 03:24 PM
J
But he WAS wrong to start in the kitchen without hanging the plastic, so I would call this argument a draw.

Rule for spousal disagreements about improvement projects: the one who argues that a step is not necessary is usually wrong.

And another one: deep in their hearts, no matter what they say, men hate it when their wives are right about how to do some project.

Old 08-25-06, 04:38 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old thinset can be ground off. There will be dust. Close and/or drape off nearby doorways.

Old 08-25-06, 08:13 PM
The flatness specifications for the substrate is an 1/8th of an inch, in a 6 feet radius, for floating floors.

Old 08-26-06, 10:52 AM
D
Thanks for the replys guys/gals,
We are going to do it right this time, even though it is alot of work and mess. I don't want to have to do this again.

I'll let you know how it goes or if we run into any road blocks.

PS My husband says his favorite 3 words are....You were right. Which I had to say yesterday.

Daralyn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: