Choosing Hardwood

Old 08-28-06, 10:09 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Choosing Hardwood

We are remodeling our kitchen in a cabin-style theme. We redid the vaulted ceiling in knotty pine and have just ordered the cabinetry in natural pecan. I would like to tie the two woods together with a nice hardwood plank floor. I realize that pine will be too soft for a kitchen and am concerned that pecan would be too overwhelming with all of its variations. I would love to hear from those experienced. Open to suggestions! Thanks.
Kelly

Old 08-28-06, 11:19 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
An oak in a gunstock or stain to pull out the darker tones in the pecan wood is a popular choice. Keep in mind that if using plank flooring the wider the plank, the less dimensionally stable and may be more subject to cupping and crowning should there be moisture/humidity issues. Also, take into consideration stain color on wood trim and baseboards if not painting. You can have wood trim stain mixed to match wood flooring.

Old 08-28-06, 09:00 PM
E
A lot of Choices

Kelly:

You need to visit a flooring store that has a lot of choices. Cabin style theme to me means you may want a rustic look. 2 1/4 strip has more of a formal look. Chelsea, Homerwood, Anderson Virginia Vintage(not cheap) make some beautiful rustic looks with lots of character. Another choice is Mohawk Hardwood which makes a nice engineered handscraped plank with a real descent pricepoint. Shaw has a couple also, but I like Mohawks better. As far as cupping goes, If you live in a region that has radical climate changes (Humid in summer, dry hot air heat in winter) you may want to use an engineered floor. More structurally stable, less money usually and can be refinished 3-4 times. Normally you wont refinish a character styled floor anyway. Go to a flooring store that has lots of wood choices and find a knowledgable wood flooring consultant. Lots of salespeople know carpet, not a lot know wood. Another great point about a rustic or distressed look is that should you scratch it, a little old english makes it dissapear. With a real formal satin or gloss finish, a scratch is a scratch and much more difficult to disguise. Hope it helps.

Jaa

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-28-06 at 09:07 PM. Reason: removed personal information/this is not allowed
Old 08-29-06, 04:42 PM
K
Thanks!

Thanks for both replies, I am taking it all to heart. Yes, we are going for a rustic look. We are figuring the floor is going to be nailed onto 3/4 in. plywood over our existing concrete pad and laying down visqueen under the flooring. Can engineered wood be used on a concrete pad??

Old 08-29-06, 05:00 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Both engineered wood and solid hardwood can be used above grade on concrete. Follow manufacturer's installation instructions. Solid hardwood is a nail down product. There are nail down engineered wood products, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: