Help! Water Damaged Laminate...

Old 09-03-06, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Water Damaged Laminate...

Help. We had a toilet overflow in the bathroom sending water under our 3-month old laminate in the hallway. We grabbed towels and wet vac to pick up as much water as possible, but water still found it's way under the flooring...either between the floor and plastic or plastic and slab. I pryed up the thresholds on three near by doorways and the quarterround on several walls to suck out as much water as possible. We stopped when the water stopped squirting out from our walking on it.

Now the joints have swelled, two pieces have seperated and there are two pieces that bubbled up a little. What now???
The two separated joints are the last little boards cut for the thresholds. They run parallel to the threshold. Are those pieces fixable? The damage seems to have stayed in the hallway where the joints were glued Can that section be repaired?
What about mold?
How do I stop this (the damage from water, not the water) from ever happening again???

Thank you for any help. More then the cost or the damage itself, it's the heartbreak of watching all our recent hard work get ruined.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-06, 08:39 AM
First of all, I'm sorry for your bad experience.

Turn it in to your homeowners insurance and do it over. It should be a breeze since you had a practice run and you can attend to little details that get overlooked (all projects around the house have them). Unforseen plumbing problems are a real pain, but at least they are not seen by the insurance industry as an "act of God".

Old 09-04-06, 10:09 AM
Yikes!...to add...you may want to weigh out the cost before calling your ins. co. as when you do this it will be considered a claim and it may make your ins. premium go up.

Old 09-04-06, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys, but...

Two problems...just did that insurance thing...previous floor was damaged by dishwasher, insurance paid for all new install from kitchen, entry and all down the hallway. 3 months and I'm calling them back...not good.
Second...I'd think that 12 square foot damaged area is not worth the $500 deductible.

From the sounds of it, starting over is my only hope? It's over $3k worth of Wilsonart to match the bedrooms! Is there a way to repair only that area?
Is there a mold concern?
Did someone say to prevent this I should silicon the expansion joints at the doorways? Should that have been done by the installer?

Old 09-04-06, 08:08 PM
It is not too bad to disassemble the floor to get to the bad area. Replace the effected boards and place the others where they came from.

Old 09-04-06, 08:16 PM
Unhappy

This section was glued before being tapped together, will that limit me? From the looks of it, the previous laminate that was removed before this was put in, laminate is cut, broken, snapped and pryed up to get rid of it.

Any thoughts on preventing this in the future? I've already decided to add more fiber to my diet in order to prevent toilet overflows ;-) Any other tips?

Thanks.

Old 09-08-06, 08:18 AM
Some suggestions

We had a similar occurence. My husband pried up the edge of the floor (stuck some rolled up paper under it) and we put a fan directly on the area blowing air 24/7 under the floor for well over a week, maybe 2 weeks. The floor dried though there were some water marks. If I don't look closely I can convince myself the marks are part of the grain. We have now siliconed the area to prevent another accident.