Installing hardwood in hallway

Old 09-14-06, 11:33 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing hardwood in hallway

My husband & I got a great deal on flooring. Someones rejected special order we bought it for $25.00 a carton was 89.66. Bought 32 cartons it's A nice medium colored 3/8" X 3" Northerb Birch plank. Yeah baby.

Question: we will be installing this flooring in a hallway that has four bedroom doors,an opening into a travertine laundryroom , a coat closet & then opens into the main entry . We will be replacing the doors and jambs down the hall . It will also be installed in atleast one of the ajoining rooms. It will be a nailed down application. How is it best to run it in the hall leghtwise or crosswise? Our house is on a raised foundation. I was thinking of doing some kind of stone or slate in the entry, we bought a beautiful rustic darkwood entrydoor with the rustic nail heads and speak easy doors very ranch like I thought puting wood in the enrty also would be too dark and take away from the door. There will be carpet in the livingroom which opens to the left off the entry & I thought we should replace the old fake wood laminate flooring in the family room which is a straight shot directly beyond the main enry and flows into the kitchen and into the dining area which ajoins the livingroom and is carpeted at this time. I thought if we had enough it would make sense to do the wood in the hall family room, kitchen & dining area. How well will this type of flooring hold up in a kitchen environment. My husband wants to hold off on removing the fake wood flooring because he wants to redo the kitchen at a later date but at a $1.00 a foot I need a change.

I figure breaking it up with the wood hall we can do the bedrooms in carpet remants maybe find another Banging Bargin!!

Appreciate any tidbits from those knowlwdgeable in this type of application.

Thanks
Bargin gal

Old 09-14-06, 01:04 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would want to run it longways in the hallway. As to using hardwood in a kitchen I am not a big fan of it but that is more of a judgement call. The main problem with it is kitchen debis can stick between the planks if they are not real tight and wear can be a problem in such a heavy traffic area. Not saying you can't do it but I would prefer tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: