Fix Creaking Floor/wall before install?

Old 09-15-06, 01:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fix Creaking Floor/wall before install?

Hi,

I am planning to install Pergo Select in a bonus room above a garage. Right now walking on the floor causes the walls to creak. The floor doesnt squeak though. What can I do to fix this before I lay the pergo down, if anything? The subfloor is 3/4" OSB tounge and groove, glued and screwed according to my original contract. It looks to have mostly screws and some nails in it. There are also gaps in between the sheets as it looks like they didnt interlock the tounge and goove. (DOnt know if thats good or bad for a floor)

The house is only 3 years old.

THanks for any help.

Lou

Last edited by buggdog; 09-15-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 09:26 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not an expert, but you may have some structural problems with your bonus room.

We had a similar situation with our bonus room over the garage. Our house was built in 1986/1987. We purchased it in 2001. The 2-car garage is about 20X24.

Apparently, the previous owner added the bonus room over the garage. According to our neighbor he cut out much of the 2X4 rafters/trusses. Then 2X6 was sistered onto the 2X4s to create a platform for the floor. Particle board then padding and carpet was laid on the platform.

At some point two 4X4 posts inside the garage were added to help support the floor. It was "springy" when walked on and the walls made noise.

When we purchased the home, we ended up adding three engineered beams inside the garage to support the room. The two 4X4 posts were removed (not a good idea to have posts where vehicles are manuvering).

I guess what I'm trying to say is to have an expert/professional take a look at your garage and bonus room. Does the roof appear to sag? Out of alignment? Gutters not draining correctly? Somehow the weight of walking across your floor is being transferred to your walls. That doesn't sound good.

Our contractor said the floor probably would not have caved in, but instead the roof might have collapsed.

Sorry for the late post, just joined today. Good luck.
Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: