removing carpet adhesive from hardwood?

Old 09-20-06, 04:44 PM
removing carpet adhesive from hardwood?

For whatever reason in the past, someone felt the need to install a low pile carpet throughout the dining room and kitchen in my house, covering up an existing hardwood floor, from pulling up one corner it appears that they just glued the carpet down, no nail strips etc My question is how to remove the carpet adhesive so that I can refinish the hardwood??

Thanks
Matthew

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
I would try mineral spirits and elbow grease. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

Old 09-21-06, 09:16 AM
When my bamboo floor installer finished the job and left before I got home, I noticed he left glue smears on the wood in many spots. For bamboo, we used Bostiks Best wood adhesive. That same company sells a adhesive remover product that did wonders at removing the excess glue on the wood. You might try that. You should be able to find it through some hardwood retailers or try the Bostiks Best website. I think I paid about $25 for the bottle but it's plenty of remover to take care of several hundred square feet.

Steve

Old 07-20-08, 09:59 AM
carpet glue from hardwood

How well did the mineral spirits work for you. The same was done in my house. I have hardwood throughout-even the bath and laundry rooms. There was carpet glue trowelled on about 1/4 inch thick where tehy laid industrial carpeting in teh bedrooms and lineolum, in one roon even peel and stick tiles over hardwood. Am anxious to get them redoen but am unsure what is most effective to dissolve the glues as it is going to be a big job regardless.

Thanks