Laminate wood ok on concrete?

Old 09-30-06, 04:53 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate wood ok on concrete?

This is more of a general flooring question, but I posted it here since laminate flooring is one of the things I'm considering.

I'm getting ready to finish out a room in my basement that is currently a bare concrete floor. Is it ok to install a floating laminate wood floor over concrete without first installing a subfloor?

In the other parts of the basement, subflooring has been installed. They used furring strips spaced about 16" or so and used construction adhesive to glue these to the concrete, then went over those with what looks like particle board. (I'm not sure what the difference is between particle board and subflooring.)

Obviously, I'd like to avoid the extra time, work, and cost of installing the subfloor if it's not really needed. The basement walls and floors here are never damp, so I don't think moisture would be a problem.

Wy wife is concerned that the floor might be too cold in the winter if there's no subfloor.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 10-15-06, 03:27 PM
L
It will be a bit cold. The foam that you need to put down under the laminate will help a little...but it will still be cold. If you have any moisuture at all down there, the laminate will warp in the blink of an eye

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-15-06 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Quoting entire post redundant and distracting
Old 10-15-06, 04:04 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Particleboard is sawdust and glue. Plywood is a recommended subflooring material. If the new floor will abut the new, you will have to take into consideration height differences for the transition.

Laminate and engineered wood floors can be installed over concrete. As indicated, moisture emissions from concrete can affect performance of flooring. Tape a piece of clear plastic 2'x2' on all sides to the concrete for 24-48 hours. Check to see if condensation forms. If so, you have a moisture issue.

If not, read and follow manufacturer's instructions for acclimation and installation. Laminate installed over concrete requires a vapor retarder.

Old 10-15-06, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Laminate installed over concrete requires a vapor retarder.

Laminate installed over concrete requires a vapor barrier. It is different then vapor retarder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: