Just getting Started

Old 09-30-06, 08:48 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just getting Started

We bought our house 2 years ago, and the builder used the cheapest carpet ever. We are now considering laminate flooring for at least the hightraffic Living Room, Hallway and Master. We are also thinking about just doing the bedrooms as well for a total of 1300 ft. My husband is in the military so we are not entierly sure how long we will be here. That said there is still the chance of being here for awhile.

We have 2 little ones a cat and dog. This thought started again today at sams because they have laminate at a really good price. I have been on the web all day, and am a little overwhwlmed. We are going to the class that Lowes offers but any input would be helpful..

WHat floor would you recommend, which rooms? etc

Thank so much for your help.

Old 10-02-06, 01:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the really inexpensive laminate won't do well with any type of spills, pet accidents, etc. so you'll have to be diligent about keeping it dry. also, the cheaper the laminate, the more difficult the installation. your subfloor has to be super flat. any dips or hills greater than 1/8" within 6 feet has to be dealt with or you'll have movement which will ruin the floor.

laminate floors (like hardwood floors, tile, etc) has to be swept & mopped, as opposed to just vacuumed, which, in my opinion, is more of a pain. be sure that you're up to chasing dust bunnies & sweeping, versus just vacuuming.

laminate floors are slippery & noisy & hard & cold. if you like to walk around barefoot, you'll notice footprints. little ones in socks will slip & fall. you'll want to buy the kind of socks with rubber gripper designs on the bottom for them. you'll need felt pads under all your furniture if you'll be sliding it around. also, some furniture you don't want to slide around, WILL slide around. decor-wise, you will probably be purchasing several area rugs to make the rooms seem warmer/cozier.

that said, i would only put it in your living room & hall way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: