Laminate meets fireplace

Old 10-03-06, 10:24 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Laminate meets fireplace

Hello,

My husband and I are installing laminate on our first floor (I had previously posted some questions about that). It is the first time we are doing that. In our living room there is a stone fireplace resting on mortar.

My husband doesn't want to undercut (basically remove some mortar) for fear he'll unbalance the stone.

He doesn't want to place a reducer strip there.

We can't place quarter inch because we can't nail it it.

His plan is to cut the planks with minute precision and line them up right next to the fireplace. He insists that the space left on the other wall will be enough for expansion.

My question: The longest distance from the two walls is 11.5 feet. How much space do we need to leave on the other wall to counteract no space next to the firplace. And will that space be covered by the wall base or would we need to add quarter inch there.

Is there a better way?

Thanks much,

Sarah

Last edited by syasmin; 10-03-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-03-06, 03:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I don't know how much expansion will happen, but here's how it will: The floor will expand and if it meets the edge of the fireplace, it will go completely the other way. The problem is that when it contracts again it will pull from both sides, leaving a gap next to your fireplace.

Old 10-03-06, 03:53 PM
S
Laminate Meets Fireplace

Thanks Mitch,

Would it be helpful to use elestic caulking at all? I don't want gaps showing.

The other thought would be to glue quater inch to the firplace. Is that viable....

Thanks

Sarah

Old 10-03-06, 06:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I just can't answer that. I don't know floors well enough to be specific, I just know physics well enough to know how it will generally behave.

Old 10-03-06, 07:15 PM
G
I would create a gap on both ends. The expansion will take the path of least resistance, and with furniture on the floor, that path just may be up, causing it to buckle, if it can only expand in one direction. Either undercut the bricks, so the expansion can go there, or cut two strips the length of the fireplace, one about 1/2"wide, the other perhaps 1". Glue them together, and than attach to the fllor with some epoxy, with the wider strip at the top. This will overlap the floor.
Undercutting the bricks a little shouldn't have any effect on them.

Old 10-04-06, 05:02 AM
Yikes!!!

Oh, well it was cheap flooring anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: