Protect new floor from heavy furniture

Old 10-09-06, 05:54 AM
cthoms
Visiting Guest
Protect new floor from heavy furniture

Just installed a floating laminate floor this weekend and now I’m scared to death to put furniture on it. Primarily because one of the pieces of furniture is an upright piano and another is a huge entertainment center with no legs. The beast just rests on the edges of it’s wood work. I’ve seen the ‘furniture mover’ pads but have doubts as to whether these will cut it for such heavy items, and the fact that the entertainment center has no real ‘legs’ to put the pads under. I’m actually interested in something that I can use that would be permanent, and not just for the move, and have considered making coasters out of carpet and plywood. What do y’all think?

Although I am concerned about weight, my primary concern is scratches during the move, and future 'adjustment' moves.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Last edited by cthoms; 10-09-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 10:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums cthoms

Congrats on your new installation! Where's the furniture now? How did you move it out before?

Your furniture will be A-OK on your new flooring as long as both heavy pieces of furniture are not opposite of each other.

I would not use those sliders. If you're talking about the ones that have pad and then plastic on the other side...I would not recommend that b/c the plastic might scratch the surface of your new floor.

You can use self adhesive felt pads. They have some rather large ones where you can cut them to size.

You may want to have professional piano movers move the piano in place. I don't have an upright piano but it's fairly heavy, and I was able to have my brothers move it for me (by choice) and am also able to lift it enough to place a big blanket underneath to drag it around a little.

You may also want to consider placing those self adhesive felt pads under other furniture as well.

Check back as the pros will probably have some better solutions.

Old 10-09-06, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the huge entertainment center with no legs will have its weight distributed over the entire bottom perimeter, so i wouldn't worry about that piece at all. the 4 legs on the piano shouldn't be a problem either, but you could disperse the weight more by setting each leg on a larger disc of some sort (your coaster idea would probably work) if you're really concerned.

but i think you're just overreacting a little cuz it's new. you should really more about high heeled shoes than heavy furniture.

Old 10-09-06, 12:59 PM
cthoms
Visiting Guest
Edit: Protect new floor from heavy furniture

Sorry - just to make sure I don't mislead everyone... I am concerned about two things, first, weight distribution, and second, scratching the floor during the move and future moves. I know I'll want behind the entertainment center more than once so it's got to come away from the wall without scratching the floor.

I used the rubber/padded thingy's to move these items off the old carpet and onto tile but it didn't go so well because the piano wanted to roll off the spacers, and the entertainment center had no legs. Not confident with that plan going back in.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Old 10-11-06, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is there any way, with the help of many friends maybe, that you can tip the entertainment center either on it's side or just enough to adhere some type of felt padding permanently to the bottom edges?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: