Floor transition from one room to another

Old 10-09-06, 05:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor transition from one room to another

We have a sun room adjoining a kitchen. The kitchen has a parquet wood tile floor and the sun room is carpeted with a short indoor/outdoor type of carpeting. There is a wooden threshhold between them that was part of a French door frame. Right now it looks like the sun room floor is lower than the kitchen. We want to replace the kitchen floor with wood planks and also replace the carpet in the sun room.

Is it possible to raise the floor in the sun room to the level of the kitchen? Also, with carpet pad and carpet, how do we adjust the height of the floors so that, with the kitchen wood and the sun room carpet, they'll be even - we won't have to worry about tripping when going from one room to the other?

Old 10-11-06, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
There's a couple of ways to do this. Measure the total drop from subflooring to subflooring. On the kitchen side add the height of the flooring with underlayment. On the sunroom side add the total height of the carpet and padding. The difference between the two is how much you will have to raise the floor in the sunroom.
BUT, you can also do a transition from the kitchen to the sunroom without the trip factor if it is not too severe a drop. If you have access to a table saw, you can cut lengths of your kitchen planking at the proper angle on edge and allow this transition to move from the kitchen to the sunroom subflooring (sort of like a short ramp), and let your carpeting contractor carpet up to the transition.
I am doing the same thing today for a customer, but they want a direct drop rather than a ramp. I also have to come up over the lip of the threshold and meet the carpeting in the living room with hardwood (where the sliding glass door was removed), so I will have to plane down some of the flooring to make it work without a transition strip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: