Laminate and Water?

Old 10-19-06, 03:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate and Water?

About three years ago I installed laminate flooring in our kitchen. Today we came home and found standing water in the kitchen. It came from a defective ice maker. The leak was so bad it damaged about 80 sf of floor. After I fix the ice maker I wll need to replace the floor. Could I run a light bead of color matching latex caulk on the tongue before I click it together? Would this make it water resistant? Any suggestions (short of not using laminate)?

Old 10-19-06, 04:24 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wilson Art's Performance ProFX is a top quality plastic laminate with a 100% plastic core. Also take a look at Formica's best laminate which is warranted against any water damage.

Old 10-19-06, 04:48 PM
D
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Wilson Art's Performance ProFX is a top quality plastic laminate with a 100% plastic core. Also take a look at Formica's best laminate which is warranted against any water damage.
I'm just replacing about 80 sf out of about 1000 sf. I don't nreally want to replace all of it. I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can do to make the laminate a little resistant to water

Old 10-20-06, 10:20 AM
did the top layers delaminate from the substrate?

Old 10-21-06, 07:18 AM
D
Originally Posted by Annette
did the top layers delaminate from the substrate?
It looks that way. I'm not sure what it looks like underneath. I have not removed the laminate.

Old 10-23-06, 07:03 AM
Pull it up ASAP before you have a mold factory. Air it out and get fans on the substrate. It may have to air out for weeks before any new laminate gets installed.

Old 10-31-06, 10:31 PM
J
the waterproof ability of laminate floor is well, but if you put it in bathroom or kitchen ,you must keep there should be no gap between two boards. there shouldn’t have height difference.
it is better to put the latex caulk also.
you should pay more attention to the gap between the wall and the floor.

there is a kinds floor with wax around the side , it maybe water resistant better than others

jenson

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-31-06 at 10:51 PM. Reason: No email addresses allowed in forums.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: