T Moulding Expansion - Made flush?

Old 10-23-06, 08:33 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
T Moulding Expansion - Made flush?

I know I will need some T-moulding to break up the long areas. Don't know WHERE yet but that's another story. Anyway, I really don't like the raised up T-moulding and want the transition to be flush with the rest of the floor. I heard there can be special transitions made or reworked from existing t-moulding so it is flush. Am I dreaming or does this exist? Thanks so much!

Old 10-23-06, 05:23 PM
A
I would think it's possible if you fairly handy with a router... and determined. Are you looking at this T-Molding as an expansion joint, rather than a transition? If so, couldn't you just set spacers every foot or so to allow for expansion?

Old 10-23-06, 10:21 PM
E
Yeah, I'm looking ot use the T moulding as an expansion area. I have a 39' long area and a 37' long area and have to break up any distances over 27'. I just really think it is stupid that the only way to do it is with a raised up T-moulding. There's gotta be a way to get it flush and still allow for the needed expansion

It might just be because I am tired but I don't understand what you mean by setting spacers every foot or so. I am imagining putting in these spacers and then ending up with a gap in the flooring.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-06, 03:41 PM
A
Just so I'm clear on what I'm envisioning - this is a 39' and a 37' long area measured along the length (direction) of the boards? Is this a hardwood install? In terms of spacers I was referring to putting spacers between boards on the side, not the ends. I was thinking you had a long area measured across the boards. Regardless, I would think you could still use occasional spacers between the ends of boards, in a staggered joint fashion. If you put a small spacer - say maybe 1/16" or 1/8" thick - at two or three locations along the length of each row, I would think you would allow for the necessary expansion. Some use big metal washers to set the space, easy to pull out after the board has been nailed down Think of a gym floor - no T moulding there, the expansion allowance is still there. Sorry for being confusing, but I hope I'm on the right track of what you're looking for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: