Hardwood flooring tie in

Old 10-23-06, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hardwood flooring tie in

I am presently installing prefinished strip flooring on the main level of house. All rooms share common floor; ie: kitchen is connected to dining area and hallway. Dining area is same as livving room and living room is part of hallwayand front foyer. In otherwords , part of the kitchen breaks up the whole floor area. I have comlpleted the kitchen and dining area andthe hallway and the living room as seperate areas. In the next couple of days my flooring will again meet each other where the living room shares the front foyer area. My measuring so far appears good, but due to the size of the living room, the strips may not line up where they will again meet each other. Any ideas out there on what I can do in the event the strips may not meet each other perfectly???

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-06, 04:30 PM
Hi there,

I'm assuming you mean that the flooring will "meet each other" you mean that the boards will be side to side rather than end to end? Obviously end to end would be an easier fix, just cut pieces to size and interweave/stagger the joints with the flooring in place.

For side by side, the only thing that comes to mind is to get an accurate measurement of the gap when you have at least a few boards left to place. For example, let's say you're running 2.25" wide strip, then 3 boards = 7.75", but your remaining space to tie it in is 7.00" You could take these three boards and run them through a table saw to remove .25" from each. Then install. Removing a smaller amount of wood from multiple boards will be much less noticeble than cutting one strip significantly.

Obviously, part of that difficulty is whether or not you have table saw. A circular saw will do, if you can keep a steady straight line (or at least a cut to match the existing floor) Also, if you're installing a tongue and groove, you'll want to be sure when you cut the boards that the piece you're keeping is the approprite side. Unless you router out a groove on one board, and insert a tongue shaped dowel strip, you'll more than likely have two boards side to side without tongue & groove.

Hindsight being 20/20 you would probably had been better off laying the floor in one contiguous fashion, rather than room by room and trying to tie it togther. Hope that helps some.

Old 10-29-06, 06:54 PM
Greetings; I have today completed flooring in both areas up to and including where they again meet. I was 3/8 inch out of alignment. Took the last three strips in hallway and fed them thru my table saw, removing 1/2 blade width from each piece on the groove side. Pieces fit fine and floor on both side of foyer are back in alignment. Help is much appreciated. Renolenny