laminate floor installation question

Old 11-07-06, 12:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laminate floor installation question

We plan to install laminate in our livingroom, hall and three bedrooms. We've removed carpet and tack strip in the living room and found the concrete floor is very uneven. Half the room is original to the house and half was added on. Whoever poured the concrete when the room was enlarged did a terrible job; many large dips, one which is an inch off the original floor. Is a portland cement type product the best way to level this floor and if so, any recommendations for the easiest product for a DIY? I've also read about using tar paper and/or shingles. What do you recommend?

Also, any suggestions on which chop saw blade is best? We will be putting down about 900 feet. Is it better to get an expensive, high quality blade and would one hold up for the whole job? Or should we get a couple of medium priced blades?

Thanks for all the advice posted. I've been reading off and on for a couple of days and have learned so much.

Old 11-07-06, 01:09 PM
B
Though I don't like to use it much you may need some self leveling compound to fill in the really bad spots. No concrete deck is perfect but if it's real bad the flooring joints will pull apart after it's walked on a bit. Make sure you use a high quality padding. Also make sure you get the installation kit that consists of beater block, shims, edge spacers and pinch bar. Sellers often neglect to mention this and you will need it. As far as a mitre saw blade. I only use Freud blades. An 80 or 90 tooth (12") would be best for trim and laminate use. I can often get a year out of everyday use from these blades if just used for trim and such (no 2"X 4" etc) They cost around $80

Old 11-07-06, 02:39 PM
M
Thanks for the info. My husband thought Freud might be the best blade for the job. We did get the best padding and installation kit so are ready to tackle leveling the floor. This will be our first laminate floor installation so wish us luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: