cork as subflooring? soundproofing?

Old 11-18-06, 09:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cork as subflooring? soundproofing?

I am laying laminate flooring down and am wondering is cork is an appropriate subfloor to help sound proof. This floor is above a suite and we have had trouble with impact and (air?) noise in the past although we had thick carpet and underlay at the time! At this point redoing the ceiling or anything structural is not an option, I'm just looking for a temporary solution. Would cork be effective? If not any suggestions on what would be a good subfloor? Thanks all

Old 11-19-06, 02:13 PM
K
Cork is an excellent underlayment, although I've never heard of it being used under laminate. Generally it is glued to the substrate and engineered wood glued directly to it. I don't see why you could not use it under laminate however, and it is probably better than most sound proofing underlayments sold along with laminate products.

Last edited by Kodiak-58; 11-19-06 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-22-06, 09:12 PM
S
I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Laminate requires an approved pad and vapor barrier in order to get the manufacturer to warranty their product. On a more practical note, since my experience with warranty issues has been less than productive, I would be concerned that it may be too soft, allow the joints to work too much, and cause them to disintegrate over time. The pad under laminates is primarily there to deaden sound but not to provide softness as that would cause joint issues so it tends to not be all that soft. I'm not sure how flexible the cork would be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: