Best way to cut a piece of hardwood in half?

Old 11-24-06, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to cut a piece of hardwood in half?

Just wondering what the best way would be to cut a piece of 2 1/4" hardwood in half down the width of it, without using a table saw which I don't have. I could use a skill saw, but how do you fasten it down?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-06, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Have you checked whether you have a neighbor with a table saw that would cut this for you?

Hot glue on a sacrificial board is the best way to secure it that's coming to mind.

Old 11-24-06, 03:48 PM
Snafoo - are you talking about ripping a length of 2 1/4" hardwood? A lot would depend on thickness. If it were a short piece of 1" stock or less you could probably rip it with a handsaw.
If you have a circular saw, clamp a couple of pieces of scrap (same thickness) alongside and clamp the assembly to a work table. Put a sacrificial piece of scrap under your workpiece. If it's a long piece that you want to rip, use a straight piece of scrap as a fence (guide) for your skilsaw.
I get the feeling that you need to rip a piece of hardwood flooring. If that's the case, the procedure I outlined will work, just be sure that the workpiece is tightly clamped. You could even screw the pieces together temporarily.

Old 01-18-07, 09:58 AM
I've got the same issue. I do not have a table saw and can't justify spending the money for a decent one at this time and no neighbours have one. Is attaching a scrap guide really the only way to work with a skilsaw for a straight cut? Has anyone fabricated some sort of kit? I find it very time consuming having to mark my cut, then mark the difference of the skilsaw and try to line up the blade to the line only to have to nail/screw into my piece I want to cut. I've heard of clamps being used to hold the guide down too.

Old 01-18-07, 12:18 PM
I had a table saw go out while I was on a job and the job had to be done.
here is what I did on my final exterior wall.
I confirmed I had enough short boards to finish the length of the room.
Then I ripped each short board board from each direction on the miter saw. If you lift the board as it is cutting you can gain almost 6 more inches of rip cut, turn your board and do the same. Be very carful and keep your hands clear of the saw if you attempt this.
With a 10" blade you will get 8" of cut lift it and you will gain another 6"
This will not work with a sliding arm saw.
Trust me,before the next job I got a new table saw, this is "have to" case only.

Old 01-18-07, 12:46 PM
I've tried the mitre saw thing, not lifting though, but usually I'm a bit off with my second cut with the board flipped over. oops.

Old 01-18-07, 07:55 PM
Could always rent a table saw for a day.
Mind you, look around, sometimes you can get a good deal. I bought a Mastercraft low end model, regular $120, on sale for $69. with discount and a $30 rebate. Then, they sent me 2 rebate checks, so it cost me $39.....

Old 01-18-07, 08:15 PM
I didn't even think to check Crappy Tire.

Old 01-20-07, 09:20 AM
They have one regular price $120.
10" blade. 13amp motor. Comes with stand.
Anti-kickback thingy
3 yr warranty.

On special quite often(as are most of their house brand stuff)

And Mastercraft tools aren't all that bad at all.
Similar in quality to Craftsman in the states.

Damn hard to go wrong there.

Old 01-23-07, 07:10 AM
I picked up this one Ryobi CSB140LZK from Home Depot for $70. It's best budget saw as per consumer search and I am pretty happy with it.