Help! Laminate flooring peaking

Old 11-26-06, 10:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Help! Laminate flooring peaking

Hello,

I purchased a house to finish from another contractor. The new laminate flooring is peaking in a few places because of a bad installation. It is obvious the gaps are too narrow or non existant at some of the walls, door jams and other vertical places. I don't know what brand the floor is. Can someone tell me the best way to cut a gap at the edge of the floor against the walls and jams? Or, should I remove the adjacent strips, cut and then reinstall.

It seams the easiest way would be to trim the floor in place. This assumes I could find the right tool to do so.

Please advise. Your help is appreciated!

Old 11-26-06, 02:03 PM
S
It's way risky but I've used a four and a half inch side grinder with a wood cutting blade to make cuts like that for the same reason. Lots of care must be taken and work slow. If the saw binds and grabs the wood, things can get tense quickly. It's also tough to make a uniform cut that way so working slow is important. My guess is, someone will read this soon who knows a better way to help you keep all your fingers, and mine the next time I deal with a situation like that. I'll never understand why they don't just do it right the first time and save folks like us lots of work.

Old 11-26-06, 04:03 PM
An undercut saw turned up and run it down the wall, to cut the flooring. Score and chisel out the corners.

Old 11-26-06, 05:56 PM
S
Do rental places normally rent those things? I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense since they're adjustable. I had a chance to buy one from a shop going out of business for twenty five bucks and passed on it. One of my better financial moves.

Old 11-26-06, 06:00 PM
T
I was just now looking for one on ebay. Lots of options under $100.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: