Installing hard wood over Ceramic?

Old 12-02-06, 04:46 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing hard wood over Ceramic?

I want to lay hard wood in my house and I do not want to rip up all that ceramic as it wood be a lot of work and mess. Can you lay hardwood over ceramic or enginer hard wood or laminate?

Old 12-02-06, 07:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes you can as long as the surface is flat. You also want to make sure that the floor will not be to high adding that wood floor over ceramic. Is this for a kitchen? If so, you have to make sure you can get your appliances out if needed.

You will probably have to scuff up the tile if they/you plan on using adhesive to hold down the wood.

Old 12-14-06, 07:03 AM
Y
I live in a house where the previous owner did that with disastrous results (for me). There is no basement and the ceramic tiles were on a concrete slab. The moisture or humidity is making the wood bubble up in places (during summer months). I am looking at getting the whole thing replaced.

Just thought I would throw it out there for you to ponder. FWIW, it is solid wood glued to ceramic tiles.

Old 12-15-06, 08:31 PM
Yelloguy, I read your other post here, and can tell you strait up, your installer was an idiot, and it wasn't because they went over tile. I was how they went over the tiles and used a solid wood and not engineered. That was a failure waiting to happen.

Old 12-28-06, 07:59 PM
S
Me too!!!

Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Yes you can as long as the surface is flat. You also want to make sure that the floor will not be to high adding that wood floor over ceramic. Is this for a kitchen? If so, you have to make sure you can get your appliances out if needed.

You will probably have to scuff up the tile if they/you plan on using adhesive to hold down the wood.
I am looking to do the same thing. I want to do it in a living room/hallway. Not in a kitchen. I understand the bit about scuffing up the floor, but then what? Do I glue down my hardwood? What about a nailing surface? Will this only work for engineered flooring?

Old 12-28-06, 09:29 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Solid 3/4" hardwood is a nail down product that requires a plywood or OSB subfloor into which nailing cleats can go. It can not be installed over ceramic tile. Engineered wood can be glued or floated over ceramic floor. Most DIYers prefer the floating engineered wood because of ease of installation. Always read and follow manufacturer's instructions to prevent flooring failure and to maintain manufacturer's warranty. Each manufacturer tends to have its own specific installation instructions. Read them first before making flooring purchase to determine if you can DIY.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: