Delta FL subfloor for engineered hardwood over concrete

Old 12-08-06, 03:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Delta FL subfloor for engineered hardwood over concrete

I just picked up two 5'x66' rolls of Delta FL and a couple rolls of moisture tape from a local concrete supply house for 56 cents per sq. ft. This is a really nice dimpled polyethylene product that raises the subfloor about 1/4" off the concrete. It is very sturdy w/ a 5,200 psi rating. I am placing 5/8" Advantech T&G on top screwed down w/ 1/4" x 2-1/4" tapcons, 15 per 4x8 sheet, dipped in caulking. On top of that I will lay some felt and then staple down my Anderson engineered 3/8" x 3" oak flooring. The lower level of my house is about to get a major upgrade!

Last edited by cycloxer13; 12-09-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 03:48 PM
J
I jut finished up a project with the Delta-FL using engineered bamboo... If you get a flooring product which can be floated, you can eliminate the plywood... Sounds like you already got the product though.. Regardless the delta worked great.. Only issue I had was getting "bubbles" and ridges out of it as I rolled it out.. I found it easier to do one row at a time instead of everything at once.. Let me know if you have questions

Old 12-08-06, 06:21 PM
C
Yeah the Delta FL looks great. I will see how it lays with the OSB. I already own the Anderson floor so I can't make any changes there.

Old 12-08-06, 07:45 PM
J
Something I screwed up on, do not overlap the delta-fl at all.. makes a screwy bump.. I know.. The instructions say not to.. Didnt take long at all to fix...

Also if you use Tounge and Groove plywood, you can skip the tapcons... I was a little leary drilling into the concrete, even though I am sure it would be fine..

Old 12-09-06, 07:13 AM
C
I have two rolls of moisture proof tape and will butt joint the Delta FL and not overlap. Also, I have worked with Tapcon screws before and tried drilling into my floor and it was quite easy w/ a standard drill. Of course, that varies depending on the type of concrete and the condition of your floor. A floating floor would be easier, but I have never liked that floaty feeling and the echoey sound they make when you walk over them. Maybe they have improved over the years.

I opted for a screwed down subfloor. Also, the nice thing is that should I want to redo the floors in the future, I can pull up the flooring and the subfloor will remain intact. Originally I had considered gluing the floor direct to the concrete, but with that method your floor needs to be perfectly flat, you have to mess with the glue (which is not cheap either), and in the end you get a rock hard wood floor that has no give. Part of the beauty of wood floors is the soft spring feel they provide under foot. Also, now you have wood glued to a porous material that was really designed to breath. I'd imagine in high moisture conditions, this setup won't last very long. I didn't want to take that chance and trash several thousand dollars of wood floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: