Glue on wood parquet floor

Old 12-12-06, 03:56 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Glue on wood parquet floor

My sister moved into a house that has vinyl self stick tiles that were put over a wood parquet floor in the kitchen. Why they did that I have no idea, especially because the self stick tiles are shifting all over the floor so you can see the creases - it was a really bad job. The vinyl tiles were over the wood floor approximately 2-3 years.

Anyway...she wants remove the tiles to expose the wood floor. Is there a way to get the glue off the wood floor without damaging the finish - any product in particular she should use? Also, since the wood floor has a veneer layer (not solid hardwood) can it be refinished? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-12-06, 08:55 PM
Mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid. It is a slow going, but works.

Old 12-13-06, 06:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Perry Wright is right again - just wanted to add to make sure the room is well ventilated.

Old 12-13-06, 07:33 AM
S
If you haven't tried it, I'm sure it sounds strange, but they're correct. I use charcoal lighter fluid to clean up excess glue after a vinyl job. It works great and doesn't harm the finish.

Old 12-13-06, 09:35 AM
H
That does sound odd! I'll tell my sister to give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-13-06, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Hammylinky
....vinyl self stick tiles that were put over a wood parquet floor in the kitchen. Why they did that I have no idea...
let us know when you discover "why"!!!

i'm guessing there's a damaged area somewhere.

and, yes, engineered wood floors can be refinished, just not as many times as solid wood. you'll have to be careful you don't go clear through the wear layer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: