Carpet to Laminate

Old 12-15-06, 05:36 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet to Laminate

Hola. I see a lot of posts from people like me, getting ready to put down a laminate floor themselves. I see a lot of good questions asked and even better answers. But I have not yet seen this..

Ripping up the carpet and padding is obviously the first step. What can I expect from my 14 year old house? I imagine that the concrete slab is directly underneath the padding. I have seen mention of some kind of carpet nail hit directly into the slab.. I imagine that these will need to be removed, and how?

Once the carpet and padding has been removed.. is there any treatment I need to do other than sweep the slab clean?

I have a good understanding of how to start the laminate, its the stuff before that I am not comfortable with yet. The last thing I want to do is to tear up a good days work to redo something. And oh yeah, screw the molding, I will pull that off and replace it so no worries there.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-15-06, 07:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hit the nails side to side to loosen then in the hole, and it won't pull a chunk of concrete with it(as much)

After the carpet is pulled up and swept up, You need to check the substrate, with a straight edge, at least 8 feet long. I use a 10 foot aluminum straight edge.

1/8" in 6 feet is the specs, usually. Grind high spots the straight edge teeter-totters on, and fill any low spots, with portland patching compound

There is a sticky up top of the forums, with a topic about floor prep, and there are some picture links there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: