Laminate Floor Flexing?

Old 12-17-06, 07:31 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate Floor Flexing?

Hello all,

After reading here and other places for a few months, I finally installed laminate in about 400sf of my house.

Laminate is Pergo Select; Underlayment is pergo padding / vapor barrier combination (not their premimum sound block); substrate is flat slab in good shape.

Install went relatively painless and am overall pretty happy with end result.

One question though. When viewing the floor at a shallow angle with the light hitting it and someone walks across it, you can literally see the boards flexing. There aren't any creaks or anything, but you can see the boards flexing down adn rebounding.

Is that normal to actually be able to "see" the movement? I guess after all the prep work, back pain, finger cuts, etc., i would just like to know if i have a problem or not.

Thanks.
Marshall

Old 12-17-06, 03:05 PM
M
Perfectly normal. Remember, it's a floating floor. So it gives and takes with temp and movement. It's likely only noticeable to you.

Old 12-17-06, 05:15 PM
"substrate is flat slab in good shape."

It must not have been as flat as you thought.

You should get no flex as an 1/8 of an inch, in 6 feet is a pretty flat requirement.

If it is flexing enough to see, it was out of tolerance. End joint separation, is usually the first thing to show up, and then over time, edge chipping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: