Help - Laminated Floor separating

Old 12-22-06, 04:42 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - Laminated Floor separating

House is 2 years old. Laminated floor is on cement slab. The Laminated part is coming apart from the rest of the wood. Has anyone heard of this problem? What did you do to resolve it? We understand that their is a 5 year warranty and they may replace it. This will be a big mess. Any suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-22-06, 07:52 AM
S
Snap on Tools will replace broken tools without question. I've never seen a laminate manufacturer, however, who will do the same. They will most likely send out an inspector to determine the cause and if it was not due to faulty material or workmanship on the manufacturers part, it's your floor. Often, as soon as the house sells, the warranty is no longer good anyhow because the material was warranted to the original purchaser, not the current owner. If you are the original purchaser, contact the folks you got it from. If not, it's still worth a try. If you have anything telling you where it came from or who manufactured it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You said it's on a concrete slab and, if the slab is wicking moisture or a vapor barrier was not correctly done, moisture may be the cause.

Old 12-22-06, 04:16 PM
J
1. there should be a cushion/buffer under the laminate floor. If that is not there, the substrate of the laminate will wick up moisture from the concrete, not good.
2. If the floor was not properly acclimate to the room where it was installed, there may be excessive expansion/contraction, labeled poor installation by the manufacturer.
3. A 5 yr warranty indicates to me that the floor is a basic big box cheapy, sorry for this diagnosis.

Old 12-22-06, 04:27 PM
Every delamination claim for "engineered" wood(they don't call it laminate anymore since now we have fake "laminate" flooring) I have seen, all tested high in moisture content, and was always over a concrete slab, that had too high of moisture vapor emissions. The moisture causes the delamination.

Now If it is just one board, I would say use a PVA adhesive and glue and weight the veneer back down.

Old 12-22-06, 04:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Failure to follow manufacturer's recommended installation instructions voids warranty. Delamination suggests moisture issues. Concrete should have been tested for moisture content and product acclimated before installation in rooms where product was to be installed with HVAC system running with doors & windows closed. In other words, product installed in home with temperature around 70 and humidity 35-55%. If this is a floating floor, vapor retarder should have been placed over concrete. Do not get your hopes up about the flooring warranty. Read the fine print. If your home came with a warranty, then see if the problem can be addressed through that warranty.

Old 12-23-06, 10:53 AM
S
Carpets done wright brings up a good point I had overlooked. I was hired to repair a laminate floor once that had several spots delaminating because the installer had not used good tools or techniques and corners were coming apart. I taped the surrounding area and the laminate wear surface for each spot, used a small sliver shim to hold the spot open a bit wider, and sprayed an aerosol adhesive used in laminating counter tops into the open area. This kind of glue is a contact type so I let it set up and then removed the shim and tape and stepped on the area to make contact between the two surfaces. The problem was an installation issue rather than moisture and the fix worked great. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: