Laminate over two layers of linoleum

Old 12-25-06, 07:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Laminate over two layers of linoleum

I'm looking at putting a laminate floor over two layers of linoleum. Searching the archives has given me a bit of insight, but left a few questions unanswered.

When scraping some linoleum off, I noticed there are really two layers. Under that appears to be a somewhat thick black layer of stuff that practically adheres to the subfloor. The surface of the linoleum appears to be in great shape - side from a couple areas that used to have cupboards and would need patching. Pretty level, smooth, etc.

So, would I be able to lay right over this? And what products would I need to use between the linoleum and laminate? It's over a basement (wood subfloor, not concrete, and no moisture coming up).

Thanks a bunch!

Old 12-25-06, 07:49 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old vinyl and adhesive may contain asbestos. Patch torn areas with floor patch. You can float a laminate floor over top existing floor covering. You will need to install manufacturer's recommended underlayment or purchase a flooring product with the cushion attached.

Old 12-27-06, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"pretty level, smooth, etc" isn't good enough. it MUST be flat within 1/8" in 6 feet. check it with a straightedge & be sure (check with your flooring manufacturer's exact specifications). if you've got any dips or peaks that exceed 1/8", your flooring WILL FAIL and your warranty won't cover it. you'll have movement in the floor & then the tongues will crack, the planks will separate & the edges will chip.

MAKE SURE (don't guess) your subfloor is FLAT. the success of your installation depends on this more than anything else.

also make sure that your flooring company will warranty their product be laid over TWO layers of linoleum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: