a couple questions on wood floor

Old 01-02-07, 05:38 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a couple questions on wood floor

I pulled up carpeting to uncover maple flooring and I am looking for ways to clean and polish it without going through sanding and refinishing. What do I use to bring my floor back to life? And what kind of costs are involved?

I also have a lot of squeaky areas that I want to fix. What is the best method since I have no access to the joists as my basement is finished?

Is there a way to tell the type of finish that is on my floor?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-07, 08:53 AM
If you find some way to spruce it up without a sand and finish, you will be rich!!!

Squeaks are very common with fasten down wood flooring. The wood seasoning and the fasteners no longer have that good bite. It is the fasteners that squeak.

Top nail, which has a chance of squeaking over the years, or use finish screws and putty the holes left.

Old 01-03-07, 09:25 AM
F
So you are telling me the only way to revive my floors is to sand and refinish them?

I am just looking to get them cleaned up and looking better than they do now, I dont need them to look new again.

Thanks,

Old 01-03-07, 10:34 AM
you need to find out if there's polyurethane on them, or wax. put a drop of water on the floor & let it sit there 15 minutes or so. dry it up with a towel & see if it left a whiteish/cloudy circle where the drop was. if it did, it's wax. if it didn't leave anything, it's got polyurethane. use the appropriate cleaning/"refinishing" products for whatever finish you've got (for example, nothing water-based for a wax finish).

go to www.nofma.org for more info on how to care for wood floors:

http://www.nofma.org/AboutNOFMA/WhyChooseWoodFlooring/WoodFlooringCare/tabid/141/Default.aspx

Old 01-03-07, 03:22 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The water test will tell you if you have wax finish. Always test in inconspicuous area such as behind a door. If you have wax finish, then you can rewax to restore sheen. If you can scrape off finish with a coin, then you likely have an older surface finish like shellac or varnish. If you apply acetone and nothing happens, you likely have polyurethane finish. Most finishes today are poly.

Flooring beneath carpet is subject to movement and sanding by grit that filters through carpet and cushion as well as sand from carpet backing. Such action will dull finish. If a surface finish, you can clean with 1/2 cup white vinegar in 1 gallon water. Use mop squeezed nearly dry. Avoid overwetting floor. Do a section at a time and buff dry with old towel.

Polyurethane and other surface finishes should not be waxed or oiled or cleaned with products containing wax or oil because they tend to dull and soften finishes over time and create adhesion problems when it comes time to refinish. If you decide to go ahead and wax, then you will likely have to go with a wax finish when you decide to refinish. If finish is polyurethane there are some 'restorer' products available that contain polyurethane solids that can be used, but even these will not restore finish to its original glory.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: