woodfloor help!

Old 01-03-07, 10:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy woodfloor help!

I am trying to unconer the hardwood in my nouse and becoming very discouraged. I love to do projects and I want to do this myself... I just recently pulled up the carpet in my guestroom and the subfloor to uncover hardwood but there is a few 2x 4's running throgh the floor in like an H pattern. I have no idea what this is and if I should just give up and put new floor over it. Also I was going to take up two layers of lanoliem in my hallway and kitchen to uncover the hardwwod but ther is a layer of this white like plaster stuff and a subfloor so I don't know what to do. Plus I am afraid of asbestos.... please help !!

Old 01-11-07, 12:26 PM
yikes. sounds like the beginning of a real nightmare. float a new floor over it all.

Old 01-11-07, 12:59 PM
S
The white stuff and subfloor sounds like the old gypsum base floor patch that Brinkman had. If that's what it is, it's unlikely there is asbestos in the hall materials because underlayment and floor patch are a method used for sheet vinyl and not so much the old style linoleum which was what had asbestos in it. If you pull up the subfloor in the hall and kitchen, you may find the floor under it to be a mess, thus prompting whom ever covered it with vinyl to do so. It's also possible that they did it to get away from the maintenance that sometimes comes with hard wood. My childhood memories of hard wood are of my mother and Johnson's paste wax and her hating the floors because of it. In any case, there will be lots of holes in the wood underneath, either from screws, nails, or staples. You can employ the old rip and tear method to remove the wood subfloor and then deal with the fasteners, but once you start, you're committed and the wood under the carpet may be a good indicator of the rest. Are you sure you want to take the chance? If so, go for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: