non slip laminate??

Old 01-07-07, 07:15 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
non slip laminate??

Hi all, I like the appearance of "pergo" type flooring - few years back bought a box and snapped a few pieces together in a doorway to see if the dogs would scratch them up.

No scratches but my family (& my dogs) slip on the flooring. My elderly parents will be moving in with us and I don't want to put down flooring that they may slip on.

Just bought a home and don't want carpets in dining room, looking for an alternative - have laminate surfaces been improved? Is there any that is non slip? I might be better going with a textured vinyl product....but again, I like the laminate look....

Last edited by kathie659; 01-07-07 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-07-07, 07:24 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Plastic laminate has a smooth surface. It is a picture of real wood on a substrate material. The surface has a protective wear layer.

Even vinyl flooring can be slick. If looking for the 'wood look,' there are vinyl planks that are available. Again, any smooth surface floor covering can be slick.

There are ceramic tiles with textured surfaces that are not so slick. But, when wet, they can be slick. With dogs in the picture too, a textured ceramic tile might be a good, durable option.

Old 01-07-07, 08:42 AM
K
laminate (non slip)

I have the underlayment down already - I was going to rent the house out & just put in vinyl tiles (tenants are tough on flooring). Folks decided they'd like to move in with us this is the only house we have w/ bd on 1st floor.

I'll move over to ceramic tile forum to see if I can use the existing underlayment.

Thanks

Old 01-07-07, 01:27 PM
S
Laminates have improved since Pergo introduced them several years ago. There are now several with a textured surface that tend not to be quite as slick because there's a texture to get some traction on. Two that come to mind right away are Shaw's Rustic expressions, Oak or Pine, and Quickstep's Country Collections Scrapped Hickory. One of the vinyl plank floors I like the best is one from Earthwerks called Wood Classic Plank. It has an even heavier texture than the laminates I've mentioned and, when installed properly, is visually hardly distinguishable from a wood floor yet has the maintenance ease of vinyl. Almost any floor, if wet, will be slippery, but the traditional, plastic "picture of a floor" laminates are more susceptible to slickness when dry due to the lack of texture. With some texture to get hold of, things get better. Of the three I've pointed out, I would lean more toward the vinyl plank for a rental or potential rental. If a plank is damaged, it can be replaced without disturbing the rest of the floor.

Old 01-07-07, 01:38 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are others who have posted on the forums that they like the vinyl planks. They would certainly be less expensive than ceramic tile. Making repairs sounds much easier than a laminate repair, and it would most certainly be easier than a ceramic tile repair. And, from the standpoint of the property possibly becoming a rental, it would likely be the best option.

Old 01-07-07, 08:36 PM
K
non slip laminate??

Thanks for the posts - I'll look into the laminate planks. I have ceramic in my house now, it always cold (I'm usually bare foot) and I don't want to get into the undertile heating.

Planks could be the answer....thanks.

Old 01-07-07, 09:24 PM
S
Just so there's no misunderstanding, they're not laminate planks, they're vinyl planks. Two different animals. Laminate is a floating fake wood floor where vinyl planks are a glued down product. They're installed the same way vinyl tiles are and are pretty much as durable. The main difference is that vinyl tiles have the color all the way through and vinyl planks do not. With a laminate floor, if a board is damaged, the floor must be taken apart back to the damaged piece, the piece replaced, and then the floor reassembled. With vinyl planks, the only piece that has to be messed with is the damaged piece. Just heat it with a heat gun to soften the piece and the glue under it, and pull it up. In many instances, the old adhesive will still be sticky enough to apply the new piece right to, roll it, and the repair is finished. If not, scrape up the old glue, apply new, let it set up, and put the new piece in. For a rental situation, they're great with low maintenance and easy repairs.

Old 01-07-07, 09:31 PM
K
non slip laminate??

So the vinyl planks give more of a "wood" look, but color doesn't go through.
If I get you right the difference between vinyl tiles & planks is the pattern and dimensions (I assume planks are in strips rather then squares)

So if I've installed vinyl tiles, I should be able to do the planks...think i got it

Thanks

Old 01-08-07, 08:48 AM
S
Yep, you got it. have fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: