HELP! [staggering] Engineered hardwood planks with little waste

Old 01-09-07, 06:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! [staggering] Engineered hardwood planks with little waste

My husband and I are installing engineered hardwood over our existing parquet floors, and in one room, the length of the room is not working out with scattering the boards without having much waste. The problem is the width of the room is such that once you start the second row of boards, using the scrap piece from the first row, you are left at the end with about 2 3/4 ", and you are not supposed to use boards shorter than 12". We started by trying to vary and cut the wood to avoid this small end board on the second row, but are now realizing that we end up with lot of waste. Any suggestions on how to scatter the wood pattern when your second row is 2 3/4" shorter than your boards would be greatly appreciated!!

ps- thelength of the room is 182.5", and the length of each plank is 7.68"

Thank you!

Old 01-09-07, 09:36 PM
S
There will always be a certain amount of waste on this kind of job. That's why you always order extra material. At least five percent extra is recommended, some go as much as seven. People often don't understand the need and, trying to save money, don't order the extra. They still spend the money, just in two stages instead of one and cause a delay to the project beside. If you ordered the extra, you should be fine. If you didn't, your supplier failed to advise you or you chose to ignore the advise. In either case, chances are you'll need to order it now if you didn't order it up front.

Old 01-10-07, 06:25 AM
M
Thanks- we did order thre 5% extra that was recommended. I guess it was just that in the first room that we did, there was no waste at all, just becuase of the measurements, so we were a little scared when we are ending up with a half a board every so many rows that is unsuable, due to the toungue and groove ends both being trimmed. I guess my question is more about how do we work with a 2 3/4" end of a row? Should we just trim the previous board to make the last space in the row long enough to install a 12" board?

Thanks again for any comments!

Old 01-10-07, 08:24 AM
S
If you're inexperienced at this, the first room was a pleasant surprise, and it does go that way at times, and I can understand the alarm on the second. I wouldn't trim the previous board. You'll loose the fastening together mechanism. I'd trim the first board, against the wall, in the row in question. You'll accomplish the same thing without having any cut ends butted together. Most installers have the tools to re manufacture the tongue or groove on site and that's how they solve this issue, but I'm making the assumption that you do not. If I'm incorrect on this point, and you can do that, then trimming the previous board would also work.

Old 01-11-07, 12:59 AM
Your cut off end, at the end of a row, becomes the starter board, in another row.

Old 01-11-07, 02:05 PM
M
That we knew, and have been doing, but for some reason the way the pattern was working out in the beginning wa, we were ending up with quite a bit of waste. i think my husband just may have made a few bad cuts, as it seems to be going better now. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: