Uniboard

Old 01-10-07, 11:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Uniboard

Has anyone heard of Uniboard? Sam's Club sells it. This is the first time we will be putting down a laminate floor and we want to do it right. Their web site is http://www.uniboardsurfaces.com/pages/010000/010500/enfset010500.html It is the premium flooring. They say it is engineered wood. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you would look at this site and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Joanie

Old 01-11-07, 10:24 AM
it's not engineered wood. it's a plastic laminate. engineered wood is many layers of real wood that is stained & can be refinished a couple of times. laminate is a photograph of wood that's been laminated to a fiberboard substrate & a clear film is over the top and can never be refinished. if a plank gets damaged, you take up the floor to that point & replace the damaged plank.

you get what you pay for. if it's too inexpensive, keep looking.

Old 01-11-07, 11:28 AM
T
Uniboard

Did you look at the site that I sent? It says it is engineered wood. Here is the page that says what it is: http://www.uniboardsurfaces.com/pages/010000/010500/enfset010500.html

"Product made from engineered wood
(high-density fiberboard)
Density: Min. 900 "

The feel feels like real wood compared to the ones that look like a picture. The top coating is not perfectly flat, it has grain.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Joanie

Old 01-11-07, 11:59 AM
i know. i saw that. high density fiberboard is technically "engineered wood" if you consider that it's sawdust glued together.

that product is NOT engineered WOOD. look at the diagram/illustration. it is a picture of wood, with a clear top coat wear layer on top (that is textured to simulate wood grain texture), and it's glued to the fiberboard substrate (the bulk of the plank). that is called "laminate" or "wood laminate" or "plastic laminate". but it's fake. there's really no wood in it, except for the fiberboard part (which is like MDF). and it can never be stripped/stained/refinished. ever. it's similar to the ready-to-assemble furniture that's made with MDF and has the "contact paper" with the fake woodgrain picture, stuck to it.

what people currently call "engineered wood" is actual layers of thinly sliced wood, each layer turned at a 90 degree angle from the ones above and below it, all glued together. but it's REAL WOOD. not one solid piece of wood, like solid hardwood, but several layers of real solid wood (but thin) glued together. it can be stripped & restained & refinished.

Old 01-11-07, 12:04 PM
look at the FAQ tab there. see how many times they use the word "laminate"?? it's laminate. it's not wood.

i'm not saying it's not good stuff. i'm just trying to explain what it is.

i installed Trafficmaster by Shaw from HD in our previous home and was very pleased. easy to install, looked great, easy to keep clean, no problems. that was about 4 years ago & it was $1.99 sq ft at the time. i think it's considered a lower-quality though, but we were happy. it had the textured surface, too. which helps it to look more like wood. the perfectly smooth laminates look VERY fake to me. the texture helps.

Old 01-11-07, 12:10 PM
T
Uniboard

Thanks you very much. You have cleared everything up for me.

Joanie

Old 01-11-07, 12:13 PM
does that mean you were really wanting an engineered wood floor?

Old 01-11-07, 01:05 PM
T
Uniboard

It really doesn't matter if it is laminate or engineered wood. I just wanted something that looks good and will last. I also don't have a lot of money to spend. We are going to be doing the entire upstairs in laminate (or engineered). We liked this Uniboard from Sam's Club. It already comes with the foam backing and thought this would be easy for us first timers. I love the look and feel of this product as compared to some others that I have seen that just look like a picture.

You really did help me as I thought this brand was indeed engineered wood. Now, I know the difference. I would imagine that the engineered wood is a lot more money.

Joanie

Old 01-11-07, 01:19 PM
yes, engineered would probably be more expensive than laminate, but engineered would increase the value of your home, last longer, can be refinished, and would sound & look better.

you're not putting it in the bathrooms, are you? just bedrooms/hall?

Old 01-11-07, 01:34 PM
S
I checked out the website you provided and Annette is correct, that is not engineered wood, it's laminate. Directly under the little round picture is a blurb that says, "Superior construction of our unique Multi-bond system and Wood-based core." Engineered wood does not have a "wood-based core" because it is all wood. Laminates are similar to a formica veneer type counter top and are just about as durable, but are not refinish-able wood floors. The part of a floor you walk on is commonly referred to as the wear layer, be it wood, tile, vinyl, or what ever. That's the part that gets the wear from traffic. The wear layer in laminates is a plastic picture of wood, tile, or stone. Engineered wood, however, has a real wood wear layer and can often be refinished. But, not all engineered wood is created equal. Kahrs has one called Linnea that has such a thin wood wear layer that refinishing it is not really an option. If you want engineered over laminate, make sure you pay attention to how thick the wear layer is. The thickness will determine if it can be refinished and how many times. The primary reason engineered is made is to create a more dimensionally stable wood floor. They are not as susceptible to seasonal shrinking and swelling as full dimension hard wood. The base layers are built the same way plywood is in order to create this stability. The wood tends to expand and contract differently lengthwise of the grain than it does widthwise. Consequently, by laying the various layers 90 degrees of each other as Annette pointed out, each layer tends to cancel out the other, causing the overall construction to be more stable. The final layer of wood is the actual species advertised as the flooring. Because of this stability, engineered wood floors have become popular over radiant heated floors, and many of them can now be installed as floating floors. There were many issues with the layers delaminating when these floors first came on the scene, but most manufacturers seem to have successfully addressed that.

Old 01-11-07, 01:53 PM
T
Uniboard

I am only putting it in the hallway and bedrooms. The bathrooms will have ceramic. I wanted to do the entire upstairs in ceramic as we did on the first floor, but it will be too hard for us to carry the water up and down the stairs. We are not youngsters any longer.

Do you think the Uniboard will be good for our purpose?

Joanie

Old 01-11-07, 01:56 PM
probably, although i can't imagine why you'd want a hard flooring surface in bedrooms or a hallway, especially on a 2nd floor. my main objections would be noise & chasing dust bunnies under beds.

Old 01-11-07, 09:48 PM
T
Uniboard

I want laminate flooring because I HATE carpeting! I am so sick of it. I have cats and dogs that make the carpet dirty and it is not easy cleaning it without getting out the carpet cleaner. I really want ceramic but just can't do that. I thought laminate would be good as long as I get the mess up pronto. It is rare that they make a mess though. I mainly want it for the hair. Dog hair sticks to the carpet and it is so much easier to vacuum up a hard floor.

Joanie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: